- 1 What is CLAT?
- 2 CLAT 2021 Dates and Events
- 3 CLAT Eligibility for UG Course (LL.B.)
- 4 UG CLAT 2021 Exam Pattern
- 5 CLAT UG 2021 Sections
- 6 Section-wise Marks Distribution in CLAT UG 2021
- 7 CLAT 2021 Syllabus for B.A.LLB
- 8 CLAT UG 2021 Recommended Books
- 9 How to Fill CLAT Application Form 2021?
- 10 CLAT Application Fee 2021
- 11 CLAT UG 2021 Online Course
What is CLAT?
CLAT stands for Common Law Admissions Test. It is an all India entrance examination conducted by the National Law Schools/Universities for admissions to their under-graduate and postgraduate degree programmes (LL.B & LL.M). The responsibility of conducting the exam is rotated and given on the basis of seniority in the establishment. The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT), is an all India entrance examination, conducted on rotation by 22 National Law Universities (NLUs) for admissions to their Under-Graduate and Postgraduate degree programmes. The 22 participating NLUs in the order of their year of establishment are:
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore (NLSIU)
- NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad (NALSAR)
- National Law Institute University, Bhopal (NLIU)
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata (WBNUJS)
- National Law University, Jodhpur (NLUJ)
- Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur (HNLU)
- Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (GNLU)
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow (RMLNLU)
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala (RGNUL)
- Chanakya National Law University, Patna (CNLU)
- National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi (NUALS)
- National Law University, Orissa (NLUO)
- National University of Study & Research in Law, Ranchi (NUSRL)
- National Law University & Judicial Academy, Assam (NLUJA)
- Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Visakhapatnam (DSNLU)
- The Tamil Nadu National Law School, Tiruchirappalli (TNNLS)
- Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai
- Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur
- Maharashtra National Law University, Aurangabad
- HP National Law University, Shimla
- Dharmashastra National Law University, Jabalpur
- DR.B.R.Ambedkar National Law University, Haryana
CLAT 2021 Dates and Events
|CLAT Events||Dates||Salient Features|
|CLAT 2021 official notification for exam date||27-Dec-2020||CLAT Consortium has announced the exam date for CLAT 2021 and has shared the exam details on the official website.|
|Online registrations for CLAT 2021||01-Jan-2021 to 31-Mar-2021||The CLAT application form window is open on the official website from January 1 to March 31.|
|Release of admit card||April 2021||The Consortium of NLUs is likely to release the CLAT admit card 2021 in April. Candidates will be issued admit cards in the online mode on the official website to appear for the examination.|
|CLAT 2021 exam date||Earlier, CLAT 2021 was scheduled to be held on May 9 but was postponed due to a clash with CBSE board exams. Now, the CLAT exam will be held on June 13 from 2:00-4:00 PM. The exam is to be taken at the allotted test centre mentioned on the admit card.|
|Display of CLAT 2021 results and merit list||June/July 2021||The CLAT consortium will declare the results of CLAT 2021 as well as publish the merit list for each NLU on the official website.|
|CLAT counselling||To be announced||Candidates are allotted seats in their respective law courses and colleges through CLAT counselling. The Consortium of NLUs is yet to announce the CLAT counselling dates 2021.|
CLAT Eligibility for UG Course (LL.B.)
CLAT Age Limit
As per the revised standards, there will be no upper age limit for the UG Program in CLAT 2021.
- Academic Qualification – A candidate must have secured minimum marks required in 12th standard, as per the category to which he/she belongs:
- For Unreserved /OBC /Specially Abled Persons (SAP) and other categories – A minimum of 45% marks required.
- For SC/ST Category – A minimum of 40% marks required.
- General Criteria – Candidates appearing in the qualifying examination in April/May 2021 are eligible to register for Common Law Admission Test. They must submit evidence of their successfully clearing the qualifying examination at the time of admission, failing which they will lose their right to be considered for admission.
- Submit the result of the qualifying examination (i.e., 10+2) at the time of CLAT Admission.
- In case of equal marks, the tie-breaking procedure is as follows:
- Higher marks in the section of legal aptitude in CLAT 2021
- Higher age
- A computerized draw of lots
CLAT Eligibility Criteria for NRI Students
NRI/ NRI Sponsored category candidates are offered seats under the NRI Quota. Admissions are carried out by the concerned universities independently on the basis of CLAT merit.
Important points to keep in mind:
- Candidates must contact the concerned university directly for the admission formalities, eligibility, documents required and other related queries for seeking admission under the NRI/NRI sponsored category.
- WBNUJS, Kolkata (West Bengal) has different criteria for admissions. It is as follows:
- There are a total of 17 seats for the candidates aspiring for admissions in the undergraduate courses whereas there are no seats available for the postgraduate program.
- Through CLAT Office: CLAT Office will issue the list of students eligible for taking admission under this category.
- Documents required by the NRI Candidates at the time of CLAT Admission:
- Copy of Valid Indian Passport of the Student
- Copy of Visas obtained in the last 12 months
- Certificate from the local embassy stating that the person is an NRI/OCI or PIO Card
- Documents required by NRI Sponsored Candidates at the time of admission:
- Copy of Valid Indian Passport of the Sponsor
- Copy of Visas obtained in the last 12 months by the Sponsor
- Certificate from the local embassy stating that the Sponsor is an NRI/ OCI or PIO Card
- An affidavit by the sponsor indicating the interest shown in the education affairs of the student and willingness to fund the education of the student over the next 5 years.
Sponsors for NRI Sponsored Students
- The person who willingly sponsors candidates for admission is required to be a first-degree relation of the student and shall be residing abroad as a Non-Resident Indian.
- In case the student has no parents or near relatives or taken as a ward by some other nearest relative, such students also may be considered for admission. The guardian must have legally treated the applying candidate as a ward. Such guardians shall file an affidavit mentioning the interest in the education of the candidate and also their relationship with the candidate. It is mandatory for that person to also be a Non-Resident Indian and ordinarily residing abroad.
UG CLAT 2021 Exam Pattern
|Mode||Offline – Pen and Paper|
|Nature of Questions||CLAT UG – Objective|
|Number of Questions||CLAT UG – 200|
|Marks Awarded||1 mark per correct answer|
|Negative Marking||0.25 marks wrong answer|
CLAT UG 2021 Sections
|Undergraduate Law Programme (B.A.LLB)|
|English (with Comprehension)|
Section-wise Marks Distribution in CLAT UG 2021
CLAT UG is divided into 5 sections overall. Each section covers a different subject, and each section also carries a different weightage. The aim of the Exam is to test the candidates’ ability to understand the law as opposed to prior knowledge of the law. CLAT UG also tests for the candidates’ basic language, general knowledge and mathematical ability. Here is the section wise distribution of marks for CLAT UG 2021.
|Subjects||Marks Allotted||Number of Questions|
|English (with Comprehension)||40||40|
CLAT 2021 Syllabus for B.A.LLB
CLAT 2021 questions will come from 5 different subjects – English, Current Affairs, Legal Reasoning, Logical Reasoning, and Quantitative Techniques. Quantitative Techniques was previously also called Mathematical Ability.
|Subject||Topics Covered||Frequently Asked|
|English||Passages, Reading Comprehension, Inference and Conclusion, Summary, Vocabulary etc.||Comprehension Passages, Subject-Verb Agreement, Noun, Pronoun, Adjective and Determinants, Adverb, Active/Passive Voice|
|Current Affairs||Contemporary Events of National and International Significance, Art and Culture, International Affairs, Historical Events of significance||Outline of Indian Economy, National Income of India, Indian Tax Structure, Major Industries in India, Banking & Finance|
|Legal Reasoning||Rules and Passages of Law, Application of the rules and passages, etc.||Legal fundamentals and terms, Legal Maxims and Important Landmarks, Supreme Court Judgments|
|Logical Reasoning||Argument – Premise and Conclusion, Inference, Relationships and Analogies, Contradictions and Equivalence, etc.||Logical Puzzles, Statement, Conclusions, Derivation of Conclusions, Cause & Effect, Reasoning, Statements, Assumptions and Statements, Arguments|
|Quantitative Techniques||Basic Algebra, Mensuration, Statistical Estimation, Graphs, Numerical Information, Ratio and Proportion etc.||Numbers, HCF and LCM, Fractions, Logarithms, Percentage, Time & Distance, Ratio & Proportion|
CLAT UG 2021 Recommended Books
CLAT is one of the most competitive and tougher law exams in India. The competition is very high, as a large number of students attempt CLAT every year. To optimize your preparation and improve your chances at CLAT 2021, go through these books –
|Subject||Name of Book||Publisher/Author|
|English||Word Power Made Easy||Norman Lewis|
|High School English Grammar and Composition Key||Wren & Martin|
|Current Affairs||Manorama Yearbook 2021||Manorama|
|Current Affairs Yearly 2021||Arihant|
|Legal Reasoning||Legal Awareness Legal Reasoning||Bhardwaj|
|Legal Aptitude for the CLAT and other Law Entrance Examinations||Bhardwaj|
|Logical Reasoning||Universal’s Logical Reasoning for CLAT, LSAT and other Law Entrance Exams||Jain Prateek|
|Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning||RS Agarwal|
|Quantitative Techniques||Universal’s Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability)||Jain Prateek|
|Quantitative Aptitude||RS Aggarwal|
How to Fill CLAT Application Form 2021?
Candidates can apply online for CLAT 2021 on the official website of the exam. Candidates can apply for the exam in four steps – registration, application, document uploading and payment of application fee. Check out a few quick steps to fill in the CLAT 2021 application form below:
- Visit the official website of the exam – https://consortiumofnlus.ac.in/clat-2021/
- Click on the Register button
- Fill and submit the CLAT registration form 2021
- Once registered, enter the mobile number and OTP on the displayed window to activate the account
- Login to the registered account using your mobile number and password
- Click on the Apply button and fill the CLAT application form
- Preview the filled-in online form and click on the Submit button to submit the form
- Upload scanned photo, signature and category certificate (if valid) as per the prescribed specifications
- Pay CLAT application fee in the online (debit card/credit card/internet banking) or the offline (bank challan) mode
CLAT Application Fee 2021
CLAT application fee differs for different categories of the candidates.
|Category||CLAT Application Fee (in Rs)|
|CLAT previous years’ question papers||500|
CLAT UG 2021 Online Course
Designed to aid students for better preparation for CLAT 2021, ixamBee has come up with an online course for CLAT UG 2021 which will provide ample practice opportunities along with video lessons, study notes, mock tests and expert guidance to the students. CLAT UG Online Course consists of:
- 150+ Video Lessons covering the whole syllabus as per the latest exam pattern.
- 50+ Study notes in PDF format wherever required for easy learning and quick revision.
- 5 Full-Length practice tests for the CLAT UG exam
- 120+ Difficulty Based Chapter Tests and 50+ Section Tests comprising Questions divided into Easy, Moderate, and High Levels.
- Live Classes for doubt clarification with the subject experts where you can get all your queries related to any subject clarified.