The Staff Selection Commission- Combined Graduate Level Examination, often referred to as SSC CGL is an examination conducted to recruit staff to various posts in ministries, departments, and organizations of the Government of India. It is conducted by the Staff Selection Commission for recruiting eligible candidates to various Group B and Group C posts. The SSC CGL notification was released last year on December 23, 2021 and the exam will be held between April 11 and April 21, 2022.
In this article, we will discuss the SSC CGL exam pattern 2022 in complete detail.
SSC CGL Exam 2021-2022
The SSC CGL examination is one of the most awaited ones. This is because it gives you an opportunity to serve various ministries and government departments. So, if you really want to contribute to the efficient working of our country’s system, you should grab this chance with both hands! Now, as the SSC CGL 2021-2022 exam day is coming closer, you need to gear up and combine all possible efforts that you can put in to qualify for this examination.
To be able to score well in any examination, you must give 100% to your preparation and determination to succeed. To be able to do both these things, you must first be fully aware of all the details related to the exam.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2022
SSC CGL is an online standardized test that follows a certain procedure and is divided into four stages/levels:
- Tier 1
- Tier 2
- Tier 3
- Tier 4
While Tier 1 & Tier 2 exams will be conducted online, Tier 3 will be a pen and paper-based exam and Tier 4 will be a computer skill test.
The pattern of the four tiers will be as follows:
Tier 1: Objective Multiple Choice (Computer Based/online)
Tier 2: Objective Multiple Choice (Computer Based/online)
Tier 3: Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi (Pen and Paper mode/offline)
Tier 4: Data Entry Skill Test/Computer Proficiency Test + Document Verification (wherever applicable)
SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam Pattern
The Tier 1 of the SSC CGL exam will consist of objective-type questions from four sections that test you on four different parameters. There will be 100 questions in all carrying 200 marks with a composite time of 60 minutes.
|Section/Subject||No. of Questions||Total Marks|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50|
- The total time allotted is 60 minutes.
- There will be a negative marking of 0.50 marks on each incorrect answer.
- There will not be any sectional cut-off in the exam.
- The Tier 1 exam will be bilingual (Hindi & English). The candidates can select their medium accordingly.
Also see: SSC CGL Tier 1 Free Mock Test
SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam Pattern
The SSC CGL Tier 2 exam will also be on the same pattern containing four sections comprising 100 questions in each of the four sections having 200 marks for each section and does not have a composite timing but individual time is allotted to each section.
|S.No||Sections||No. of Questions||Total Marks||Time Allotted|
|1.||Quantitative Ability||100||200||2 hours|
|2.||English Language and Comprehension||100||200||2 hours|
|4.||General Studies (Finance and Economics)||100||200||2 hours|
- There will be a negative marking of 0.25 marks on Paper-2 (English Language and Comprehension). However, for the remaining subjects, there will be a negative marking of 0.25 on each incorrect answer.
- There will not be any sectional cut-off in the exam.
- The Tier 2 exam will also be bilingual (Hindi & English). The candidates can select their medium accordingly.
- Paper 1 & 2 are compulsory for all the categories of posts.
- Paper 3 is only for those candidates who apply for the post of Junior Statistical Officer (JSO) and Statistical Investigator Grade 2.
- Paper 4 is only for those candidates who apply for the posts of Assistant Audit Officer/ Assistant Accounts Officer.
- The marks obtained by the candidates in both Tier 1 & Tier 2, will determine their eligibility to appear in Tier 3 & Tier 4.
SSC CGL Tier 3 Exam Pattern
The SSC CGL Tier 3 exam is held in a different model than the other two tiers. Tier 3 of SSC CGL will be a descriptive test. The paper will be bilingual (English/Hindi) and will constitute 100 marks with a time duration of 60 minutes.
|Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi (Writing of Essay, Precis, Letter, Application etc.)||100||60 minutes|
- The candidate will be required to write down an Essay/Passage of 250 words and a Letter/Application of approximately 150 words.
- The questions in this paper would be of secondary and higher secondary (class 10+2) standards.
SSC CGL Tier 4 Exam Pattern
The SSC CGL Tier 4 exam is a Data Entry Skill Test (DEST)/ Computer Proficiency Test (CPT), wherever applicable. This stage was added in 2016 depending on the various positions applied by the candidates. It will be conducted in two steps: DEST Test & CPT Test.
- Data Entry Speed Test (DEST): Here, the candidates are required to enter data at the rate of 2000 key presses in 15 minutes. This is mainly for positions such as Tax Assistant. (Central Excise & Income Tax)
- Computer Proficiency Test (CPT): Here, the candidate’s computer proficiency skills are tested based on the topics of word processing, spreadsheets, and making slides.
Please also refer to the table below.
|S.No.||TIER 4: Exam Name||Eligible Posts||Exam Pattern|
|1.||Data Entry Skill Test (DEST)||Tax Assistants||2000 key depression per hour will be conducted for 15 minutes.|
|2.||Computer Proficiency Test(CPT)||Assistant Section officers||3 modules namely word processing, spreadsheet and generation of slides|
Also see: SSC CGL Preparation Tips from Toppers
SSC CGL Posts- Job Profile
Since the job profile of different SSC CGL profiles is different from one another, it would be wise to study them independently. For this, we have listed below the SSC CGL job profiles for several posts that you can explore in more detail. Here are some detailed blogs on the job profile of SSC CGL posts:
After knowing the exam pattern details, the next step should be planning your preparation in a proper manner and going ahead with a note of optimism.
We encourage you to make the most of the time that you have before the exam. Study hard and give your 100% to your preparation and we are confident that you will succeed.
We wish you all success.
At ixamBee you can find free Online Test Series, GK updates in the form of BeePedia, as well as the latest updates for Bank PO, Bank Clerk, SSC, RBI, NABARD and Other Government Jobs.