The Election Commissioners of India are the members of the Election Commission of India (ECI). The primary duty of the Election Commissioners of India is to ensure the free and fair elections in India. This is an important topic for General Awareness assessed in exams like IBPS RRB, FCI AGM, NABARD Grade A, NABARD Grade B, EMRS Teaching Staff Selection and other government examinations.
Election Commissioners of India
The ECI is a three-member body consisting of the Chief Election Commissioner of India and two Election Commissioners. At present, Shri Sushil Chandra is serving as the Chief Election Commissioner of India. Two additional Election Commissioners assisting him are Shri Anup Pandey and Shri Rajiv Kumar.
List of Chief Election Commissioners of India
The complete list of Chief Election Commissioners of India has been provided below.
|Chief Election Commissioner||Term of Office|
|3||S.P. Sen Verma||1967-72|
|8||R.V.S Peri Sastri||1986-1990|
|12||James Michael Lyngdoh||2001-2004|
|21||Achal Kumar Jyoti||2017-2018|
|22||Om Prakash Rawat||2018-2018|
|24||Sushil Chandra||2021- present|
Election Commissioners of India Duties
The Election Commissioners are appointed by the President of India for a tenure of 6 years or up to the age of 65, whichever happens first. As already mentioned earlier, the chief responsibility of these officers is to ensure the conduct of free and fair elections. Other than that, they are responsible for all the duties of the ECI as prescribed by the Indian Constitution. The duties of the Election Commission of India have been outlined in detail for you.
Election Commissioners of India Trivia
- The ECI was a one-member body up until 1989.
- Through the Constitution Amendment Act of 1989, the ECI became a multi-member body. The Chief Election Commissioner was appointed by two other Election Commissioners as well.
- V.S.Ramadevi is the first and only lady to hold the Chief Election Commissioner chair in India.
- She served the shortest tenure as Chief ECI for less than a month.
- Sukumar Sen and Kalyan Sundaram served the longest terms for approximately 8 years and 9 months each.
- The Election Commissioners are offered the security of tenure. They can only be removed by the Parliament through impeachment via a complicated process.
- The Election Commission officers are generally retired IAS officers.
We have put together several articles that will help you brush up on your General Awareness that have been listed at the end of this article. Other than that, you can find crisp and timely updates on BeePedia on all aspects of Current Affairs and General Affairs that you can download in PDF format and read at your convenience. Moreover, BeePedia is completely free and available in Hindi as well.
ixamBee provides a number of online courses to help aspirants prepare for their competitive examinations. You can also find previous years’ question papers on our website that you can review for free at any stage of your preparation. Moreover, we provide free mock test series as well that you can take whenever you please.
At ixamBee you can find free Mock Test Series, GK updates in the form of BeePedia, as well as latest updates for Bank PO, Bank Clerk, SSC, RBI, NABARD and Other Government Jobs.