India has a total of 42 operational + under construction International Airports. The first international airport that operated in India is Cochin International Airport in Kerala, India, whereas, the recently added airport to the list of International Airports is the Noida International Airport situated in UP, India. International Airports in India is one of the important topics in Static G.K section. Questions of around 1 to 2 marks will be covered from this topic, hence, it is advised to learn all the international airports.
Airport Authority of India
The Airports Authority of India or AAI is a statutory body, under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Civil Aviation, Government of India. It was established on April 01, 1995. Currently, it is under Cabinet Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia. The Airports Authority of India is responsible for creating, upgrading, maintaining and managing civil aviation infrastructure in India.
Recently added Airports in India
Noida International Airport (Under Construction)
Noida International Airport, also known as Jewar-Noida International Airport is the fifth international airport in Uttar Pradesh. This airport is under construction and it is proposed to build a two-runway airport by 2024. The airport is to be developed through a public-private partnership model (PPP). Some important points related to Noida International Airport have been provided below.
- The foundation stone of the airport was laid by the PM on November 26, 2021.
- The owner of the Airport is Noida International Airport Limited (NIAL)
- It is officially known as Noida International Greenfield Airport
- It is located near the town of Jewar in Gautam Buddh Nagar, Uttar Pradesh.
- After completion, it is all set to be the country’s largest airport.
- The Yamuna Expressway Industrial Development Authority (YEIDA) will be the implementing agency
- Flughafen Zürich AG, the Operator of Zurich Airport won the bid to Build and Operate the Airport.
Navi-Mumbai International Airport (Under Construction)
Navi Mumbai International Airport proposed to be functional by 2024, is a greenfield international airport. It is being built by the CIDCO in the city of Navi Mumbai, India.
- Navi Mumbai International Airport will be the extension to the existing Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA) as India’s first urban multi-airport system.
- The airport passenger terminal and air traffic control (ATC) tower have been designed by London-based Zaha Hadid Architects.
- The project is worth Rs 16,700 crore project and will be executed by Navi Mumbai International Airport Limited (NMIAL).
- CIDCO is the nodal government agency for the project that will be built through a public-private partnership (PPP).
Some Important International Airports in India:
Indira Gandhi International Airport-Delhi
Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) previously known as Palam Airport situated in Delhi is the busiest airport in India in terms of cargo. It handles an average of 40 million passengers every year. It has a record of handling 69,233,864 passengers in the 2018-2019 span. With a capacity of handling 34 million passengers annually, Terminal 3 of Delhi International Airport is the eighth largest passenger terminal in the world. It got privatized in the year 2006 and was given to Delhi International Airport Pvt. Ltd.
Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport- Mumbai
Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport earlier known as Sahar International Airport is the 2nd busiest airport in India in terms of passenger traffic. I was overtaken by Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi as the busiest airport in India in 2015. This airport also got privatized in early 2006 and the operator is Mumbai International Airport Limited.
Bangalore International Airport- Bengaluru
Kempegowda International Airport or Bangalore International Airport is the 3rd busiest airport in India. It started its operation on May 24, 2008. The airport is named after Kempe Gowda I, the founder of Bangalore. This airport has become Karnataka’s first fully Solar powered airport. Apart from being the 3rd busiest airport in India it also is the 29th busiest airport in Asia.
List of International Airports in India
|Name of the Airport
|Sheikhul Aalam International Airport
|Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
|Sri Guru Ram Dass Jee International Airport
|Chandigarh International Airport (Serves the Union Territory of Chandigarh and cities of Mohali (Punjab) and Panchkula (Haryana)
|Indira Gandhi International Airport (Busiest Airport in India)
|Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport
|Varanasi ,Uttar Pradesh
|Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport
|Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
|Kushinagar International Airport
|Kushinagar, Uttar Pradesh
|Noida International Airport
|Noida, Uttar Pradesh
|Jay Prakash Narayan International Airport
|Swami Vivekananda International Airport
|Biju Patnaik International Airport
|Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport (locally known as Kolkata Airport or Dum Dum Airport
|Kolkata, West Bengal
|Bagdogra International Airport
|Siliguri, West Bengal
|Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport (Formally known as Borjhar Airport)
|Maharaja Bir Bikram Airport (Also known as Agartala Airport)
|Imphal International Airport
|Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport
|Surat International Airport
|Jaipur International Airport
|Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar Airport
|Indore, Madhya Pradesh
|Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport
|Navi Mumbai International Airport
|Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport
|Chhatrapati Sambaji Raje International Airport (second busiest airport in India)
|Rajiv Gandhi International Airport
|Visakhapatnam International Airport
|Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
|Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh
|Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh
|Kempegowda International Airport
|Mangaluru International Airport
|Cochin International Airport
|Trivandrum International Airport
|Calicut International Airport
|Kannur International Airport (also known as Karipur Airport)
|Chennai International Airport
|Chennai, Tamil Nadu
|Coimbatore International Airport
|Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
|Tiruchirappalli International Airport
|Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu
|Madurai International Airport
|Madurai, Tamil Nadu
|Veer Savarkar International Airport
|Port Blair, Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Top 9 busiest International Airports in India
- Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi
- Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai
- Bengaluru International Airport, Bangalore
- Anna International Airport, Chennai
- Kolkata International Airport, Kolkata
- Hyderabad International Airport, Hyderabad
- Ahmedabad International Airport
- Cochin International Airport
- Goa International Airport