SEBI released the final result of SEBI Grade A 2020 some time ago. A total of 80 selections took place in the General stream. The Batch of 2020 Grade A officers has already joined the organization. SEBI is a regulator of the capital market, therefore, there is a perception that finance students are in a better position than non-finance students. Due to this, an organization like SEBI looks like a far fetched dream to non-finance students.
In today’s article, we will analyze the final result of the SEBI Grade A exam for General stream candidates and bust this myth that non-finance students have a disadvantage over finance students. This article will also be helpful to those who are going to attempt the SEBI Grade A exam in the future.
Let’s start with the Qualification required to apply for the SEBI Grade A exam (General Stream).
- 1 Educational Criteria for General Stream
- 2 SEBI Selected Candidates profile
- 3 Were CA/finance Candidates had an advantage in this exam?
- 4 SEBI Grade A Cut off
- 5 What should you do next?
- 6 SEBI Grade A Exclusive Course consists
- 7 Online Mock Tests
- 8 Also Read
Educational Criteria for General Stream
|General||Master’s Degree in any discipline, Bachelors’ Degree in Law, Bachelors’ Degree in Engineering from a recognized university, CA / CFA / CS / Cost Accountant.|
As we can see that for a general stream, besides CA/CFA/CS/Cost Accountant, any student who has done masters in any stream can apply for the exam. Also, a bachelor’ Degree in Engineering from a recognized university is eligible.
Many of you may think that because the exam is of SEBI, finance background students have an advantage over non-finance students. I would like to tell you that two-third of the selections (general stream) are of non-finance background students. Amazed? Let’s look at the SEBI Selected Candidates’ profile and their educational backgrounds.
SEBI Selected Candidates profile
|SEBI Selected candidates’ educational backgrounds (2020)||Number of selected candidates in 2020 (General Stream)|
|Bachelor’s Degree in Law||0|
|Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering||27|
|Masters’ degree in any discipline||33|
As we can see that the non-finance backgrounds students have outnumbered the finance students here.
Were CA/finance Candidates had an advantage in this exam?
It all depends on your perception. If this were the case, the SEBI, as a regulator, would never ask non-finance students to apply for the exam. Thinking that only finance students can clear this exam as they have an advantage is like losing a battle at the first level and the facts are telling exactly the opposite.
With all this, we can say that Non-finance students are not at disadvantage at all. Let’s understand how
1. As already mentioned above, 2/3rd selection is of non-finance students in SEBI Grade A 2020.
2. Phase 1 was very easy, any discipline candidate would have cleared it with the right strategy. No specific knowledge was required to clear the exam. There was no sectional cut off in phase 1, therefore, even if you lacked in sections like accounts/finance, you can work on other sections. Also, the paper was very basic in nature. We have a detailed cut off exam analysis of the SEBI Grade A Phase 1 exam.
3.In Phase 1 or the cutoff list was prepared as such, SEBI clearly stated that any candidate who scored only 30% in Paper 1 and 40% in Paper 2 with 40% overall cut off in Phase 1 was eligible for the Phase 2 exam.
4.Phase 2 exam also needed a focused strategy. No special knowledge was required to clear this phase.
5. One of the important aspects that had been neglected by a lot of students was the descriptive English section. The Descriptive English section was critical in the final section. It played a vital role in the final selection of a lot of candidates. Again, this section can be scored irrespective of any educational background. We have experts like Ms Arunima Sinha who guides students for this section. You can watch her video regarding descriptive English below.
SEBI Grade A Cut off
Now, Let’s look at the final cut off of the SEBI Grade A exam. The final merit list was prepared in an 85:15 ratio. The consolidated score of Phase 2 (85%) and Interview (15%) was taken into consideration in making the final list.
|Unreserved||OBC (NCL)||EWS||SC||ST||PwBD (AU)||PwBD (VI)||PwBD (HI)|
The final selection of the last selected candidate was done in 69.24 marks. The derived interview marks were 13.14. Let’s check this in detail.
Lowest and Highest marks on SEBI Grade A selected candidate
SEBI Grade A
|Lowest marks||Maximum Marks|
|Phase 2/Written Exam||66||74.66|
The maximum mark secured by a SEBI Selected candidate is 75.46. It is advised to score sufficiently high marks in Phase 2 itself so that the dependency on Interview reduces. This doesn’t mean that you don’t have to prepare well for the interview. The interview also plays an important role in the final selection. It is just that high marks in the Phase 2 exam will keep you in a safe position.
What should you do next?
Stop Predicting the notification date
The very first thing you must do is not to wait for the notification. Candidates often worry about the notification and stop preparing for the exam. This is one of the most common mistakes a candidate makes. We don’t have concrete information about the notification. As soon as it comes, we will be the first to notify you.
In case you are a SEBI aspirant and preparing for it for a while now, you can give a try to the PFRDA Grade A exam 2021, which has been released recently. The exam pattern is exactly the same and the organization is a strong regular of the provident fund market. We have compared the two in our latest blog
Attempt the Previous Year paper of SEBI Grade A exam
If you are new to the preparation, the very first thing you must do is to attempt the SEBI Grade A Previous Year paper. You can attempt it on our website absolutely free of cost. Through this, you will be able to analyze your level of preparation.
Prepare your strategy based on your strengths and weaknesses
After attempting the SEBI Grade A Previous Year paper, devise your strategy based on your strengths and weaknesses. This is a very crucial step and can make or break your career in SEBI. Carefully executing the strategy will land you a job in SEBI. In case you are confused about how to approach the exam or how to start the preparation. You can watch the video below.
ixamBee has experts that can help you in achieving your dream of becoming a SEBI Grade A officer. Experts like Ms Prachi Agrawal (Ex-CARE ratings), Mr Susgeel Ragade (Ex-AGM, RBI), Mr CP Mohan (Ex CGM NABARD), Dr Sanjeev Sharma (Ex CGM, RBI) and Ms Arunima Sinha, (Ex-SIDBI) will guide you through the exam. With the SEBI Grade A Exclusive online course, you will also get a chance for one-one interaction with the expert faculty. Not only this, our mentors will handhold you through your preparation journey.
SEBI Grade A Exclusive Course consists
- 600 + video Lessons covering the entire Syllabus for all Papers of SEBI Grade A Phase I and SEBI Grade A Phase II.
- 300+ Study Notes designed by expert faculty covering SEBI Grade A syllabus for all Papers of Phase I and SEBI Grade A Phase II.
- 25 full-length Mock Tests for SEBI Grade A Phase I (15 for Paper 1 and 10 for Paper 2) and 5 Full-Length Mock Tests for SEBI Grade A Phase II Paper 2, adhering to SEBI Grade A new exam pattern.
- 5 Descriptive English Mock Tests (Phase 2-Paper 1) with individual performance feedback.
- 14,000+ Practice questions covering all the new subjects/topics introduced in SEBI Grade A Exam.
- Daily Live Online Classes for doubt clarification with the subject experts.
- All video lessons are self-explanatory and available for the students to access and prepare during the time most feasible for them.
- The various tests in the form of concept questions, chapter tests, section tests and mock tests provide a wide and targeted coverage of the syllabus.
- Our experts will provide Guidance, Tips and Preparation strategies at each stage of preparation
- SEBI Grade A Online Course includes guidance for the Interview Round as well.
- Live classes by the expert faculty help in doubt clarification and up-to-date and exam-relevant topic discussions. Our Faculty is highly experienced and specialized in each subject. You can have a look at their individual profiles below.
- One-on-One Meetings with Faculty: This is a unique program started by ixamBee where you get to speak to faculty of your choice one-on-one and get all your queries answered by them personally.
Online Mock Tests
We also encourage you to take the SEBI Grade A Online Mock Tests as giving mock tests will assist you in identifying your weak areas and judge your preparation before the exam. These mock tests are totally free.
We hope that this has helped you in making your decision. All the best for the SEBI Grade A exam.
At ixamBee you can find free Online Test Series, GK updates in the form of BeePedia, as well as latest updates for Bank PO, Bank Clerk, SSC, RBI, NABARD, and Other Government Jobs.