‘One Health’ pilot project launched by the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying in Uttarakhand.
The Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying (DAHD) has launched the One Health Pilot Project in Uttarakhand to implement the One Health Framework by One Health Support Unit. The primary objective of the pilot project is to develop a national One Health blueprint in India based on the outcomes and learnings of this pilot project execution.
In this article, let us learn more about the One Health pilot project in more detail.
“The One Health approach is key in ensuring sustainable development as it addresses interdependencies among people and the planet. We are happy to support the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying to initiate the pilot project in the state of Uttarakhand and pave the way for the implementation of the national One Health Framework.”– Alkesh Wadhwani, Director, Poverty Alleviation, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation India.
One Health Overview
|Name of Project||One Health|
|Launch Date||April 6, 2022|
|Department||Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying (DAHD)|
|Ministry||Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying|
|Launched by||Shri Atul Chaturvedi, Secretary, DAHD|
What is One Health?
The One Health Project in India aims to work towards improving the health of animals, livestock, wildlife and human beings through the use of technology and finance. Further, the larger aim of the project is to conserve and improve the health of the environment.
The project will especially focus on establishing the apparatus for the data collection on diseases and outbreaks, developing the surveillance plan and intertwining laboratory networks. The pilot will also aim toward the developing and implementing of strategy across stake-holding sectors and enhancing digital data architecture in India via the National Digital Livestock Mission.
What is a Pilot Project?
A pilot project or pilot test is a small-scale experiment conducted to test the feasibility, cost and perspective success of a full-scale research project. It is also used to improve upon the present plan/model for maximum results when the full-scale project is launched.
One Health Project Objectives
By developing the One Health Framework, India will successfully address the need for
- Efficient reporting of disease and its response coordination
- Best utilization of available resources
- Maintaining preparedness for all kinds of emergencies
- Build an infrastructural and scientific base to handle diseases of economic and zoonotic importance
- To generate awareness among people about zoonotic diseases and their subsequent economic significance.
Also see: WHO’s One Health Program
One Health Features
Let us go over the key features of the One Health Pilot Project in brief.
- Six interventions have been planned for the implementation of this project that will help in the establishment and initial engagement for improved coordination among various sectors.
- The pilot project will be undertaken in Uttarakhand.
- This project will majorly focus on setting up the mechanism for the data collection on all aspects of diseases, their prevalence, prevention, management and related solutions.
- An inter-ministerial committee has been established under the Chairmanship of the Principal Scientific Advisor to oversee the proper implementation of the One Health Support Unit.
- On the basis of the results achieved and feedback given on the pilot, the state and district level One Health Committees will be formed by competent authorities for large-scale implementation of the scheme.
Why has the pilot project been launched in Uttarakhand?
Uttarakhand boasts of a unique ecosystem of rich biodiversity with its dense population of wildlife ensures. Therefore, a number of activities can be planned in the conservation and reserve zones of Uttarakhand to ensure animal, environment and human health can be improved.
Project Steering Committee
A Project Steering Committee has been established under the leadership of the Secretary of DAHD, Shri Atul Chaturvedi. The committee comprises representatives from the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, field practitioners and members of civil society.
One Health Significance of the Pilot Project
This One Health Pilot Project in Uttarakhand will enable the Government of India to create the One Health Framework for India in the future. The GOI will govern the coordinated efforts of all stakeholders to review the success of the project. This project will also facilitate capacity building and disease prioritization.
We hope you enjoyed reading this article as much as we enjoyed writing it for you. For more such updates about the latest current affairs, you can refer to ixamBee’s BeePedia capsules available on our website completely free!
If you also want to keep up with the latest agricultural information and job opportunities in this sector, follow our AgriBee YouTube Channel for latest updates.
All the best.
At ixamBee you can find a number of Online Courses, Free Mock Tests, GK updates in the form of BeePedia, as well as the latest updates for Bank PO, Bank Clerk, SSC, RBI, NABARD, and Other Government Jobs.