Lake is an area of appreciable size filled with water. It is any relatively large body of stagnant water that occupies the inland basin. Although the difference between lakes, ponds or rivers, and other bodies are not well defined, we can say that streams and rivers move faster than Lakes. If defined geologically, lakes are temporary bodies of water. Globally lakes contribute to a very small quantity of all available water i.e. 0.009%.
Lakes can be classified by two ways:
- Natural lakes.
- Artificial lakes.
Uses of Lakes:
- Lakes are used for commercial purposes, large lakes provide a form of transport for heavy and bulky goods like coal, iron, machinery, etc.
- Water is essential for day to day life. Thus, lakes can be used as water storage for domestic usage of towns or industrial cities.
- Lakes are generally used for hydroelectric power generation. Both natural and artificial lakes are used but natural lakes are preferred over manmade lakes to generate hydroelectric power.
- Besides generating electricity lakes also works for agricultural and irrigation purposes.
- It is also used for fishing because lakes are generally connected with rivers and oceans which brings fishes to the lakes. It helps industries engaged in fishing.
- Lakes are used for tourism purposes also. Tourists use lakes for boating and fishing.
Lakes in India is one of the important topics in the General Awareness section. One to two questions can be expected from this topic in the upcoming SSC CGL 2019 and Railway NTPC examinations. It will be helpful for all the upcoming SSC and Railway exams.
State-wise List of Lakes in India
|Name of the State||Name of the Lake|
|Andhra Pradesh||Kolleru Lake|
|Son Beel Lake|
|Himachal Pradesh||Brighu Lake|
|Dashair and Dhankar Lake|
|Kareri and Kumarwah lake|
|Seruvalsar and Manimahesh Lake|
|Blue Bird Lake|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Dal Lake|
|Padinjarechira, Thrissur city|
|Vadakkechira, Thrissur city|
|Madhya Pradesh||Bhoj Wetland|
|Sarang pani lake|
|Salim Ali Lake|
|Rajasthan||Ana Sagar Lake|
|Jal Mahal, Man Sagar lake|
|Sambhar Salt Lake|
|Fateh Sagar Lake|
|Uday sagar Lake|
|Telangana||Alwal Cheruvu Lake|
|Durgam Cheruvu (Secret Lake)|
|Tamil Nadu||Berijam Lake|
|Red Hills Lake|
|Uttar Pradesh||Amakhera Lake|
|Barua Sagar Tal|
|Chando Tal Lake|
|Ramgarh Tal Lake|
|Uttarakhand||Skeleton Lake (Roopkund Lake)|
|West Bengal||Debar Lake|
|East Calcutta Wetlands|
Important points regarding Lakes in India:
- Largest freshwater Lake in North -East India– Loktak Lake –Manipur
- Longest Lake In India – Vembanad, Kerala
- Largest Saline Water Lake In India – Chika Lake, Orissa
- Dal Lake is a lake in Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir also known as the “Jewel in the crown of Kashmir” or “Srinagar’s Jewel”. Tulip garden is situated on Dal Lake.
- Largest Artificial Lake In Asia – Upper Lake, Madhya Pradesh
- Bhimtal Lake, Uttarakhand is the largest lake in the Kumaon region. It is also known as the “Lake district of India”. One of the prominent qualities of this lake is It is a “C” shaped lake.
- Highest Lake In India – Cholamu Lake, Sikkim
- Salim Ali Lake has been named after the great naturalist and ornithologist, Salim Ali who is also known as birdman of India.
- Largest Fresh Water Lakes In Asia & India – Wular Lake, Kashmir
SSC CGL 2019 is approaching soon. You must have prepared for the exam and now focusing on the revision part. Ideally this time you should devote to attempt mock tests as much as possible. Always make sure the mock tests you attempt are of the level of the real exam, only then you will be able to get a clear picture of your preparation level. ixamBee is providing high-quality full-length mock tests for the SSC CGL 2019 exam absolutely free of cost. Attempt SSC CGL 2019 Free Mock Tests to analyze your level of preparation and then plan accordingly.
You can attempt 700+ Free full-Length Mock tests for all the exams related to Banking, SSC, Teaching, and Railways, etc.
For more such posts keep visiting this space, Thank you…:)