On November 18, 2019, Shri Sharad Arvind Bobde took oath as the 47th Chief Justice of India by President Shri Ram Nath Kovind. The Oath ceremony took place at the Durbar Hall of the Rashtrapati Bhawan, New Delhi. He is a former Chief justice of Madhya Pradesh High Court and presently serving as a chancellor at the University of Delhi and Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur. He succeeded Shri Ranjan Gogoi, 46th Chief Justice of India, who also recommended his name to the president for CJI. His tenure will of 17 months and he will demit office on April 23, 2021.
Who is the Chief Justice of India?
A Chief Justice of India is the head of the judiciary system in India. He/She is appointed as a judge of the Supreme Court of India as per Article 124 of the Constitution of India. A Chief Justice of India is appointed by the President of India and nominated by the collegium system of Supreme Court and High court of India. It was formed 70 years ago (1951) after the replacement of Federal court of India by the supreme court of India. A chief justice is entitled to a salary of rupees 2 lakh 80 thousand per month. A chief justice tenure length is till 65 years of age. There are various roles of a CJI that are vested to him by the constitution. Some of them are listed below:
Roles of Chief Justice of India
Following are some roles and powers of a Chief Justice of India:
- He/she gives suggestions or consult with the president for the appointment of Supreme Court and High court judges.
- He/she appoints ad-hoc Supreme Court judges (Article 127 of the constitution).
- He/she appoints retired judges to sit in the Supreme Court (Article 128 of the constitution).
- A Chief Justice of India can change the seat of a Supreme Court judge from Delhi to any other place with the approval of the President (Article 130)
- The officers and servant appointments of the Supreme Court is made by the Chief Justice of India (Article 148).
- Chief Justice of India holds the power to move high court judges from one court to another (Article 222).
- To resolve a financial dispute between state and Centre, a Chief Justice of India can appoint an arbitrator.
- One of the major roles of the Chief Justice of India which also caused a major uproar in the past few years is that a Chief Justice of India has the power to appoint benches to hear cases in the Supreme Court. It is the Chief Justice of India who decides which judge will hear which case.
- He/she gives oath to the President of India and Governors.
With the appointment of 47th Chief Justice of India, this topic is important from the exam point of view and can be asked in the upcoming exams of NABARD Grade A, SBI Clerk, RBI Assistant, and SSC CGL. To help you with this, here is the complete list of Chief Justice of India.
|Sr.No||Name of the Chief Justice of India||Tenure/Time Period|
|1||H. J. Kania||1950-1951|
|2||M. Patanjali Sastri||1951-1954|
|3||Mehr Chand Mahajan||1954|
|4||Bijan Kumar Mukherjea||1954-1956|
|5||Sudhi Ranjan Das||1956-1959|
|6||Bhuvaneshwar Prasad Sinha||1959-1964|
|7||P. B. Gajendragadkar||1964-1966|
|8||Amal Kumar Sarkar||1966|
|9||Koka Subba Rao||1966-1967|
|10||Kailas Nath Wanchoo||1967-1968|
|12||Jayantilal Chhotalal Shah||1970-71|
|13||Sarv Mittra Sikri||1971-73|
|14||Ajit Nath Ray||1973-1977|
|15||Mirza Hameedullah Beg||1977-1978|
|16||Yeshwant Vishnu Chandrachud||1978-1985|
|17||Prafullachandra Natwarlal Bhagwati||1985-1986|
|18||Raghunandan Swarup Pathak||1986-1989|
|19||Engalaguppe Seetharamiah Venkataramiah||1989|
|22||Kamal Narain Singh||1991|
|23||Madhukar Hiralal Kania||1991-1992|
|24||Lalit Mohan Sharma||1992-1993|
|25||Manepalli Narayana Rao Venkatachaliah||1993-1994|
|26||Aziz Mushabber Ahmadi||1994-1997|
|27||Jagdish Sharan Verma||1997-1998|
|28||Madan Mohan Punchhi||1998|
|29||Adarsh Sein Anand||1998-2001|
|30||Sam Piroj Bharucha||2001-2002|
|31||Bhupinder Nath Kirpal||2002|
|32||Gopal Ballav Pattanaik||2002|
|33||V. N. Khare||2002-2004|
|34||S. Rajendra Babu||2004|
|35||Ramesh Chandra Lahoti||2004-2005|
|36||Yogesh Kumar Sabharwal||2005-2007|
|37||K. G. Balakrishnan||2007-2010|
|38||S. H. Kapadia||2010-2012|
|41||Rajendra Mal Lodha||2014|
|42||H. L. Dattu||2014-2015|
|43||T. S. Thakur||2015-2017|
|44||J. S. Khehar||2017|
|47||Sharad Arvind Bobde||2019- Till Date|
To practice Free Mock tests related to banking, Teaching, SSC and other compeittive examinations you do not need to go anywhere because you are getting 700+ free full length mock tests absolutely free of cost in ixamBee.
Please feel free to comment below for any query related to the blog and also drop-down suggestions if any.ооо мфк займ онлайнзайм денег без процентовлайм займ личный кабинет войти в личный кабинет