Every month brings with itself a unique set of holidays and occasions. In this article, we will look at some of the important occasions that are held on May 12, 2021. All the important events spoken of below have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and are observing their events under COVID-related protocols. This topic is important for competitive exams like Bank PO, RBI Grade B, NABARD Grade A/B, SSC CGL and other exams as part of their General Awareness syllabus. Let us learn more about the important events that occur on May 12 and why they are commemorated.
- 1 International Nurses Day
- 2 Cannes Film Festival
- 3 Nebraska Children’s Groundwater Festival
International Nurses Day
The International Nurses Day is celebrated every year on May 12, on the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale, around the world. The International Council of Nurses takes precedence in selecting themes and producing reports and nursing kits for the nursing community all over the world. At a time like this, where members of the medical community have selflessly served to fight the global pandemic, the need to celebrate International Nurses Day has become even more important. On this day, the International Council of Nurses produces and brings out reports and resources about the community of nurses across the world. They also provide kits that contain educational and public information materials, for the benefit of nurses all over the world.
History of International Nurses Day
International Nurses Day has been observed since 1965. However, in 1974, May 12 was officially assigned to be observed as International Nurses Day. The International Day of Nurses is celebrated on the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale. Also known as the Lady with the Lamp, Nightingale is exalted as being the mother of modern nursing. She is well-known for her selfless service to the wounded soldiers during the Crimean War.
Theme for International Nurses Day
The theme for International Nurses Day 2021, is “Nurses: A Voice to Lead – A Vision for Future Healthcare”. As one might expect, this year’s celebration is dedicated to the nurses who have given their all during the COVID-19 pandemic. The theme for International Nurses Day 2021 seeks to explore how nursing will look into the future and how nursing as a profession will revolutionize the next stage of healthcare. To better understand the significance and importance of this day, let us take a look at the International Nurses’ Day themes for the last decade. This will help us to cognize the various aspects which are celebrated and the concerns and challenges faced by nurses.
|2020||Nurses: A Voice to Lead – Nursing the World to Health|
|2019||Nurses: A Voice to Lead – Health for All|
|2018||Nurses: A Voice to Lead – Health is a Human right|
|2017||Nurses: A Voice to Lead – Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals|
|2016||Nurses: A Force for Change: Improving Health Systems’ Resilience|
|2015||Nurses: A Force for Change: Care Effective, Cost Effective|
|2014||Nurses: A Force for Change – A vital resource for health|
|2013||Closing the Gap: Millennium Development Goals|
|2012||Closing the Gap: From Evidence to Action|
|2011||Closing the Gap: Increasing Access and Equity|
|2010||Delivering Quality, Serving Communities: Nurses Leading Chronic Care|
The Florence Nightingale Nurses Award in India is conferred upon nurses who have shown exemplary dedication to their profession. Last year, in 2020, the award was presented on May 12. The award consisted of a cash prize of ₹ 50,000, a certificate and a medal.
Cannes Film Festival
The Cannes Festival or the Cannes Film Festival is an international film festival held in Cannes, France every year at Palais des Festivals et des Congrès. Festival de Cannes (French) which began in 1946 is a film festival where movies across genres are screened from all over the world.
When is the Cannes Film Festival celebrated?
Every year, the Cannes Film Festival is held in May. However, this year, the 74th Cannes Film Festival 2021, has been postponed and will be held in July between the 6th and the 17th of the month.
Cannes Film Festival Awards
The Cannes Film Festival is an invitation-based festival where members from film fraternities across the world are invited. The Cannes Film Festival awards the prestigious Palme d’Or, Grand Prix, and the Jury Prize for various categories such as best actor, best actress, best screenplay and the like. The Cannes Film Festival awards are presented in other categories as well such as L’Œil d’Or for the Best documentary film, Cinéfondation prizes for student films and Queer Palm for LGBT+ themed films.
As aforementioned, the Cannes Film Festival has been postponed for a couple of months in the light of the COVID-19 related problems. Since this is an international festival with attendees coming in from all over the world, the situation needs to become stable across the globe. In the hope for the same, the authorities of the Cannes Film Festival are intent on holding an in-person festival rather than a virtual one at Palais des Festivals et des Congrès as per the legacy. This is why the dates have been postponed in the hopes that things will be better and international travel will be safer and easier.
The Nebraska Children’s Groundwater Festival is held annually at the Central Community College and College Park campuses for fifth-grade students. Since 2004, the leadership of the festival was handed over to the host community of Grand Island, Nebraska, and has continued since. The Nebraska Children’s Groundwater Festival has been so successful that it has been adopted as a model across the world.
History Of The Nebraska Children’s Groundwater Festival
The Nebraska Children’s Groundwater Festival was begun in 1988 in the state of Nebraska, United States, to educate young children about the importance of groundwater and the role they play in our ecosystem in general and the water cycle in particular. It is a dynamic, activity-based fun yet educational festival organised for 4th and 5th-grade students from schools across the state of Nebraska.
The Nebraska Children’s Groundwater Festival scheduled for 2020 had to be canceled in compliance with COVID-19 guidelines. This year, in 2021 the festival coordinator, Marcia Lee, has announced that the festival will be held virtually. With the virtual Festival, students will enjoy the same hands-on activities that create fun and memorable educational experiences. The festival will also enable students to better understand the concepts the groundwater professionals are teaching.
Listed below are the activities and presenters scheduled for this year.
• A Crumpled Watershed- Nebraska Extension
-students will learn what a watershed is and how excess water from properties runs off into larger water bodies.
• Awesome Aquifers- Natural Resources Conservation Service
-students will make an aquifer model and understand its importance in our lives.
• Bottle Bee Hotels- Central Community College
– Students will make nesting habitats for solitary pollinating insects using waste materials.
• Critter Cube Count- Izaak Walton League
– Students will work in groups of 4 to determine the health of a stream and how it affects groundwater.
• Groundwater: It’s In What You Drink- Ensign Beverage
– Virtual tour of a brewing facility in Hastings, Nebraska.
• H2O and the 3 Rs- Keep Loup Basin Beautiful
– Students will learn about debris and proper recycling practices to improve groundwater quality.
• How Wetlands Work- Ducks Unlimited
– Students will learn how wetlands work and their importance as natural habitats.
• Rain Stick Rattles- Noyes Art Gallery
– Students will learn groundwater facts, learn a song among activities.
• Seed Bombs for Meadow Pollinators- The Crane Trust
– Students will learn ways to help save pollinators by creating habitats for them.
• Raptor Connection- Raptor Conservation Alliance
– Students will learn about the connection between surface water and groundwater.
• Water Cycle Bingo- Hall County 4-H
-Students will be taught about the water cycle.
Other important events:
Let us look at some of the other important historical events that took place on May 12 in brief.
- 1907 – Hollywood starlet Katharine Hepburn was born.
- 1949 – The erstwhile Soviet Union lifted its blockade of Berlin one minute past midnight on May 12, 1949.
- 1956- Beloved animated character, Homer Simpson from “The Simpsons” was born on this day in 1956.
- 1981- Hollywood actor, Rami Malek, famous for portraying the role of Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody, was born on May 12, 1981.
- 2015 – A massive earthquake in Nepal killed thousands of people and injured even more. This is understood as being an aftershock of the earthquake that occurred on April 25, 2015.