When it comes to qualifying an exam, it requires a lot many things to make sure you fare well in it, out of which ‘preparation’ is one of the most important and foremost things to be planned.
“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail “.
Nothing except a good preparation can assure your success. While focusing on the preparation for IBPS PO MAINS EXAM in particular, we sometimes tend to ignore a crucial part of the paper, i.e. the ‘descriptive paper’. No matter how much you prepare for the remaining written exam, if you do not manage to fare well in this descriptive paper, you lessen your chances to score well and make through the interview round.
Descriptive paper is there to test both your English language and the writing skills. For both of them, you need to develop a regular reading habit which will help you in gaining knowledge along with learning how to arrange your words in a suitable manner.
Let’s look into the details of the IBPS PO ENGLISH DESCRIPTIVE PAPER format.
(IBPS PO English descriptive syllabus)
The descriptive paper will also be held in the online mode with 30 minutes duration and worth 25 marks. It consists of two parts –
- Essay Writing – 15 marks
- Letter Writing – 10 marks
When it comes to writing an essay, you need to focus on the matter and the word limit as well. The ability to write on a topic, while covering all possible important points in a precise manner, is what this exam tests in you. You will be specified an ibps po descriptive paper word limit around 250 words for an essay and you need to make sure that this limit is not exceeded, as it may cost you your marks.
While writing an essay, you need to keep three things in mind –
- INTRODUCTION – You will always have to start the essay with a crisp, precise and proper introduction of the topic you choose, which gives a clear idea to the examiner and does not create a confusion in his/her mind. You have to be careful about not being too detailed, as you just need to introduce the topic.
- BODY – Once you make the reader familiar with the topic, you start talking about it in detail, keeping the word limit in mind. Here, you will have to cover all the facts /figures / information / ideas depending on the topic that you have chosen.
- CONCLUSION – This is also one important part, which should not be ignored. This gives a complete shape to your essay and will fetch you good marks. Leaving an essay abruptly without properly closing it, will give a bad impression and may prove negative.
IBPS PO Descriptive Topics:
To start with, you should have an idea what kind of topics are usually provided in the exams, so that you may be well prepared before you appear and it doesn’t give you a shock.
ESSAY TOPICS ASKED IN SBI PO MAINS 2018 EXAM
- Monsoon wreaks havoc in many Indian states. Write measures or steps that can be taken to minimize the damage.
- In many schools and colleges, students are given many projects and assignments related to the project although there is no research paper published as compared to the number of teachers and students. Write your views on it.
ESSAY TOPICS ASKED IN IBPS PO MAINS 2017 EXAM
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Cashless Economy
- Effects of gadgets on intellectual capabilities of Humans
These topics give you an idea of the subjects which are usually considered in the bank exams. There can be any topic related to economy, finance, banking (NPAs), social issues, current issues. Reading the newspaper daily will help you in gaining knowledge in each and every topic and will not pose too much difficulty in the actual exam.
LETTER WRITING –
Writing a letter is comparatively easier than writing an essay, depending on the type of letter topic you choose. It may be informal or formal.
Formal Letter Format – A formal letter is written in a particular manner and formal language, written for official purposes, to people holding some higher positions in various offices etc. It has to be short and precise, without going into too much details and talking about your matter straight away, avoiding any flowery language.
IBPS PO DESCRIPTIVE PAPER FORMAL LETTER FORMAT-
Address of the sender
Address of the receiver
Salutation – Dear Sir/Ma’am (address the person with the name if you know it)
Subject – It will give a small idea of what the receiver can expect out of the letter.
Informal Letter Format- An informal letter is written to close acquaintances, family, friends etc. You can afford to be a bit ‘informal’ in your language here. In an informal letter, you do not have to be too pressurised about the language, as you can express your feelings in a much better manner, but you do need to keep the ‘word limit’ in mind. Here, you will be given a word limit of 150 words.
Therefore, do make sure, you do not cross this limit and complete your letter in a proper manner.
IBPS PO DESCRIPTIVE PAPER INFORMAL LETTER FORMAT –
Address of the sender
Salutation – Dear Aunt / Dear – (address the person with the name)
ADDITIONAL TIPS for IBPS PO ENGLISH DESCRIPTIVE PAPER
- As the paper will be in online mode, you should practice typing the essays in your personal pc, at least once in a day. This will increase your speed and also a good practice.
- Avoid Spelling Errors – You need to be careful while writing an essay / letter, as too many spelling mistakes may land in you in trouble, by an eventual decrease in the marks.
You need to score a minimum score that will be notified when the final result will be out, and that’s what will ensure your selection through the interview round and help you in getting your dream job.
IBPS PO English Descriptive Study Material
Though an essay or a letter is not confined to a particular syllabus, as you cannot predict which topic you may be provided with in the actual exam, but in order to be well prepared and getting an edge over others, you need to be advanced enough to ensure you fare well in the exam. So, here we are providing the list of some books which may help you in gaining some knowledge and getting ideas of how to go about the descriptive paper.
- Descriptive English Book – Kiran Prakashan
- Descriptive English – K.Kundan
- Crack Descriptive English – Varuna Sharma
We at ixamBee work hard to provide quality content and reliable information to help many deserving aspirants in achieving their goal.
For more useful content and guidance on descriptive exam, please visit the following links –
ALL THE VERY BEST FROM TEAM ixamBee!