In the Supreme Law Book of India (Bhartiya Samvidhana or Indian Constitution), Part VI of the constitution deals with the government of the states and under Part VI, Article 153 to Article 167 deals with the State Executive.
The State Executive consists of:
- The Chief Minister.
- Council of Minister.
- Advocate General of the state.
Please note that in a state there is no office for Vice Governor, unlike Vice President who holds an office at the centre and also serves as a chairman of Rajya Sabha.
Who is a Governor?
Governor is the chief executive head of the state. He also acts as an agent of the Centre and therefore entitled to do the dual job. After 7th constitutional amendment, the appointment of the same person can be done as a Governor for two or more than two states. A Governor is appointed by the President of India.
There are certain conditions that a candidate must follow to be appointed as a Governor. These are as follows:
- A Governor must be a citizen of India.
- A Governor must be at least 35 years of age.
- Must not be a member of either house of the parliament or house of the state legislature.
- Must not hold any office of profit.
A Governor holds office for a term of five years however a President is entitled to remove the Governor at any point of time so, there is no security of tenure for a Governor. The President is also entitled to transfer the Governor from one state to another state.
A Governor also possess some powers and those are
- Executive powers.
- Legislative powers
- Financial powers
- Judicial powers.
A Governor doesn’t possess emergency, military and diplomatic powers like the President of India but he can recommend the constitutional emergency in the state to the President.
Other important points related to the Governor which can prove helpful in an exam:
- Kalyan Singh who has been replaced by Kalraj Mishra as the Governor of Rajasthan became fourth Governor to complete his term as Governor of Rajasthan after 1967. Before him, Sapoorna Nand was the last Governor of Rajasthan who had completed the tenure in 1967 roughly 52 years ago.
- Sarojni Naidu was the first female Governor of the state of India. She was the Governor of United Province of Agra and Oudh (Uttar Pradesh). She governed from 15th August 1947 to 2nd March 1949.
- The longest-serving governor of the state of India was M.M Jacob He served as a Governor of Meghalaya state for 11 years 293 days from 1995-2007.
- The youngest ever Governor for any Indian state was Swaraj Kaushal (husband of former foreign minister Late Sushma Swaraj) who served as a Governor of Mizoram state at the age of 37.
Recently on 5th November 2019, a new Governor for Mizoram Shri P.S Sreedharan Pillai has been appointed by the President of India Dr Ram Nath Kovind while five Governors had been appointed back in the month of September 2019. Names of Governor of the state is one of the frequently asked questions in the banking and insurance exams. Therefore, it is very important to be well versed with this topic.
Below is the current updated list of Governor of state of India:
|Indian State List||Governors Name|
|Andhra Pradesh||Biswabhusan Harichandan|
|Arunachal Pradesh||B.D Mishra|
|Goa||Satya Pal Malik|
|Haryana||Satyadev Narayan Arya|
|Himachal Pradesh||Bandaru Dattatreya|
|Kerala||Arif Mohammad Khan|
|Madhya Pradesh||Lalji Tandon|
|Maharashtra||Bhagat singh Koshyari|
|Mizoram||P.S Sreedharan Pillai( governer designate) Jagdish Mukhi( additional charge)|
|Nagaland||R. N. Ravi|
|Punjab||V.P Singh Badnore|
|Tamil Nadu||Banwarilal Purohit|
|Uttar Pradesh||Anandiben Patel|
|Uttarakhand||Baby Rani Mauriya|
|West Bengal||Jagdeep Dhankhar|
Who is a Lieutenant Governor?
A Lieutenant Governor is the chief head of a Union Territory. The powers of a Governor and Lieutenant Governor is kind of same except some powers that are entitled to the Lieutenant Governor. A Lieutenant Governor doesn’t need the approval of the Council of Ministers to act whereas a Governor has to act solely on the advice of the Council of Ministers. A Lieutenant Governor is also appointed by the President of India.
- Shri Girish Chandra Murmu has been appointed as a first Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir. He is a senior IAS Officer of 1985 batch.
- Shri Radha Krishna Mathur has been appointed as a first Lieutenant Governor of Ladakh. He is a Retd. IAS officer (1977 Batch) and a former Defence Secretary.
Please note that Union Territories like Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Delhi, Puducherry, Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh, a lieutenant governor is appointed whereas Union Territories like Chandigarh Dadar and Nagar Haveli Daman and Diu and Lakshadweep an administrator is appointed.
An Administrator is also appointed by the President of India. The difference between Lieutenant Governor and Administrator is that for an Administrator it is necessary to be a part of bureaucracy whereas to be a Lieutenant Governor there is no such compulsion.
Below is the Updated list of Lieutenant Governors and Administrators of Union Territories of India:
|Union Territory List||Lieutenant Governor/ Administrator Name|
|Andaman and Nicobar islands||Admiral D K Joshi( Lieutenant governor)|
|Chandigarh||Shri V P Singh Badnore( Administrator)|
|Dadar and Nagar Haveli||Shri Praful Patel( Administrator)|
|Daman and Diu||Shri Praful Patel( Administrator)|
|Delhi||Shri Anil Baijal (Lieutenant. Governor)|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Shri Girish Chandra Murmu (Lieutenant. Governor )|
|Ladakh||Shri Radha Krishna Mathur( Lieutenant Governor)|
|Lakshadweep||Shri Dineshwar Sharma( IPS) Administrator|
|Puducherry||Dr Kiran Bedi, IPS (Retd) (Lieutenant Governor)|
ixamBee provides 700+ Free Mock Tests for various exams. To be able to attempt these free mock tests, you will need an ixamKey, a unique ID to unlock mock tests. You can ask for ixamKey from your friends on various platforms such as Telegram, FB, Whatsapp. Your ixamkey (which you can share with your friends) is available on your dashboard. So what are you waiting for? Ask for ixamkey from your friends and share yours also because remember sharing is caring.
Also Read:займ 500 рублей на картузайм без документовзайм на банковскую карту онлайн