Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI): Brief Overview
In the last decade or so, the securities market in India has seen tremendous growth. In fact, during the Covid-19 pandemic when the entire world was under lockdown, the Indian stock market was still booming. So, now you might be wondering, which organization is responsible for regulating such a dynamic and ever changing securities market. Well, you guessed it. It is none other than the Securities and Exchange Board of India or SEBI.
SEBI (Securities & Exchange Board of India), a non-statutory body was established in 1988 with the aim of regulating the securities market. It was given statutory powers in 1992 through the SEBI Act, 1992. Hence, it is one one of the most important regulatory bodies after the RBI.
SEBI Grade A Officer
SEBI is a fairly young organization as compared to other regulatory bodies in the country. Therefore, SEBI as an organization is expanding very quickly, which is good news for the aspirants preparing for this exam.
Looking at the latest trends, SEBI has started recruiting eligible candidates regularly as Assistant Managers in Grade A. The SEBI Grade A Officer is a managerial level position in SEBI. It is a prestigious post responsible for various functions related to securities market regulation and supervision. The SEBI Assistant Managers are involved in formulating policies, implementing regulatory frameworks, enforcing compliance, and protecting the interests of investors. It is for this reason that among the regulatory bodies, the SEBI Grade A exam has become very popular among the candidates after the RBI Grade A and Grade B exams.
So, what does this mean? This means that the SEBI Grade A 2023 recruitment drive is around the corner. Now that the secret is out, there is nothing holding you back to take to your SEBI Grade A 2023 preparation. In fact, to stay ahead of your competitors, it will be beneficial if you begin as soon as possible. Let’s understand one of the most important aspects of the SEBI Grade A 2023 exam, i.e SEBI Grade A eligibility criteria. However, please note that since the SEBI Grade A 2023 has not come out yet, we’ll be referring to the previous recruitment notification i.e SEBI Grade A 2022.
Importance of Understanding the SEBI Grade A Eligibility
First things first, you must first check whether you are even eligible to appear for the SEBI Grade A exam or not. This will save you a lot of time and effort. Since the SEBI Grade A notification is always among the much-awaited ones, to ensure that your candidature does not get cancelled, you must make sure that you fulfill the SEBI Grade A eligibility criteria.
The SEBI Grade A eligibility criteria consists of-
- Educational Qualifications
- Age Criteria
- Age Relaxation
Worry not, we’ll explain the SEBI Grade A eligibility in detail and save you the trouble of having to figure it out all on your own. Let’s get into it.
SEBI Grade A Qualifications
As you know, SEBI releases the notification for various posts under Grade A like- General, IT, Legal, Rajbhasha and more. Therefore, the educational qualifications for the various posts also differ. So, the first thing you need to do is make sure that you fulfill the SEBI Grade A qualification that is mentioned in the SEBI Grade A notification.
|General||Master’s Degree in any discipline, Bachelors’ Degree in Law, Bachelors’ Degree in Engineering from a recognized university, CA / CFA / CS / CWA.|
|Legal||Bachelor’s Degree in Law from a recognized University / Institute.|
|Research||Master’s Degree in Statistics / Economics / Commerce / Business Administration (Finance) / Econometrics from a recognized University / Institute.|
|Official Language||Master’s Degree in Hindi with English as one of the subjects at Bachelor’s Degree level or Master’s Degree in Sanskrit / English / Economics / Commerce with Hindi as a subject at Bachelor’s Degree level from a recognized University / Institute.|
SEBI Grade A Age Limit
Age criteria is a very important factor when it comes to competitive exams like SEBI Grade A. Therefore, before filling out the SEBI Grade A online application form, ensure you fulfill the SEBI age limit as mentioned in the official notification.
The SEBI Grade A age criteria is quite straightforward. It states that a candidate must not exceed the age of 30 years as on the date mentioned in the SEBI Grade A recruitment notification.
|Name of the Post||Age Criteria (as on 31/12/2021)|
|Grade A (Assistant Manager)||A candidate must not have exceeded the age of 30 years as on December 31, 2021 i.e., candidate must have been born on or after January 01, 1992.|
Just like every competitive exam, SEBI also provides age relaxation to the candidates belonging to the reserved categories. This is to make sure that every candidate gets a fair chance to compete. Let’s look at the age relaxation criteria below-
|OBC (Non-Creamy Layer)||03 Years|
|Ex-servicemen include Emergency Commissioned Officers/Short Service Commissioned Officers, who have rendered at least five years continuous Military Service and have been released a) on completion of assignment (including those whose assignment is due to be completed within one year from December 31, 2021)||05 Years|
|PwBD (Persons with Benchmark Disabilities)||General||10 Years|
Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (PwBD)
Persons with Benchmark Disabilities will be given reservation as per Section 34 of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, 2016. The disabilities that are specified in the SEBI Grade A notification are as follows-
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Blindness and Low Vision
- Locomotor disability including Cerebral Palsy, Leprosy Cured, Dwarfism, Acid Attack Victims and Muscular Dystrophy
- Autism/ intellectual disability/ specific learning disability/mental illness
- Multiple disabilities
- OBC candidates coming under the 'creamy layer' are not entitled to any reservation and should indicate their category as ‘Unreserved’. If no vacancy is reserved for OBC/SC/ST/EWS category candidates, they can still apply but will not be eligible for any relaxation.
- SC/ ST candidates are exempted from the application fees in such cases but they need to pay the specified intimation charges.
- On the other hand, candidates with benchmark disabilities (PwBD) are eligible for age relaxations, irrespective of their category (GEN/SC/ST/OBC/EWS).
- The reservation for PwBD candidates is considered horizontally within the overall vacancies for the respective posts.
The SEBI Grade A exam 2023 is a great opportunity for fresh graduates because candidates for the SEBI Grade A officer position are not required to have any minimum work experience. In short, candidates who have recently completed their graduation can apply for the position based on their educational qualifications and their desired position.
Nationality & Citizenship
To be eligible for the post of SEBI Grade A Assistant Manager, candidates must be Indian citizens. In other words, candidates from foreign countries or neighbouring countries are not eligible to apply for this post.
SEBI Grade A Selection Process
At present, SEBI Grade A exam is one of the most sought after exams among the aspirants in India as it can allow one to serve in one of the largest financial organizations in India. Therefore, before you nose-dive into your exam preparation, it is crucial that you are well-acquainted with the SEBI Grade A exam pattern and SEBI Grade A syllabus. The SEBI Grade A exam will be conducted in three stages-
- Phase 1- Online Exam (Objective)
- Phase 2- Online Exam (Objective + Descriptive)
- Phase 3- Interview
Weightage given to Different Stages of the Selection Process
Phase 1- Online Exam:
- SEBI Grade A Phase 1 exam is qualifying in nature, meaning that the marks of Phase 1 will not be added to the final merit list.
- You need to qualify the minimum cut-off in both Paper 1 and 2. Minimum cut-off for Paper 1 is 30% and for Paper 2 is 40% in Phase 1.
Phase 2- Online Exam (Objective + Descriptive):
- Phase 2 is really important as your final selection will be decided on the basis of the marks obtained in Phase 2.
- The marks scored in SEBI Grade A Phase 2 will be considered while calling for the Interview. Furthermore, here also, you need to qualify the minimum cut-off in both Paper 1 and 2. Minimum cut-off for Paper 1 is 30% and for Paper 2 is 40% in Phase 1
Phase 3- Interview:
- The SEBI Grade A Interview will be the last and final phase of the SEBI Grade A recruitment and will work as the deciding factor for the final selection.
- The weightage of marks obtained in the SEBI Officer Grade A exam for Phase 2 is 85%, while marks obtained in the Interview will be given a weightage of 15%.
Important Points to Note
There are few other important pieces of information that you must know before you apply for the SEBI Grade A 2023 exam.
- A Post Graduate Diploma in any discipline from a recognized University / Institute will be acceptable as educational requirement for General Stream and a Post Graduate Diploma in Statistics / Economics / Commerce / Business Administration (Finance) / Econometrics from a recognized University / Institute will be acceptable as educational requirement for Research Stream, provided the same is recognized as equivalent to a Master’ Degree in that discipline by Govt. of India. The candidates will be required to provide the necessary documents in this regard.
- One really amazing feature of the SEBI Grade A exam is that you can apply for two streams at the same time. How cool is that? However, this is subject to your educational qualifications. For instance, Law graduates can apply for the Legal stream as well as the General stream. You will have to fill out separate application forms for each stream.
- Furthermore, students appearing in final examinations and awaiting final results can also apply to the SEBI grade A exam. However, the offer to join SEBI to the selected candidates will be given only after the production of the necessary documents. This gives aspirants an opportunity to join the organization at a very young age and have a long and fulfilling career at SEBI.
- Even in cases where there are no specific vacancies reserved for OBC/SC/ST/EWS category candidates, they are still allowed to apply. However, it should be noted that they will not be eligible for any relaxations or benefits typically provided to candidates from these categories.
- Candidates are responsible for ensuring their eligibility for the applied post. Those seeking reservation or relaxation benefits available for SC/ST/OBC/EWS/PwBD/Ex-servicemen must verify their entitlement to such benefits based on the prescribed eligibility criteria. Additionally, candidates should possess all the necessary certificates in the prescribed format to support their claim for these benefits during the interview. It is important to note that candidates without the required certificates at the time of the interview will not be permitted to participate in the interview process.
From the discussion above, you will be able to appreciate that it is crucial for candidates to carefully review the SEBI Grade A eligibility before applying for the SEBI Grade A exam. Checking the SEBI eligibility will help you determine whether you meet the necessary requirements to participate in the examination or not. For this purpose it is essential to know information related to SEBI Grade A qualification, SEBI age limit, work experience (if applicable), and any specific category reservations. By understanding the SEBI exam eligibility beforehand, you can ensure that your application is valid and avoid any potential disqualification or rejection. It saves time and effort for both the candidates and the recruiting authority, enabling a smoother selection process. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you thoroughly examine and assess your eligibility before proceeding with the application process for the SEBI Grade A exam.
SEBI Grade A Officer Phase I Paper 1 - Free Mock Tests
SEBI Grade A Officer Phase I Paper 1 - Previous Year Question Paper
- 120 Minutes
- 200 Questions
- 200 Marks