FINANCE AND BANKING
- RBI releases Monetary Policy
- The Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) kept the repo rate unchanged in the fourth bi-monthly policy meet for the financial year 2021-22.
- IndusInd Bank gets authorised by RBI to collect Direct and Indirect Taxes
- IndusInd Bank has announced, that it has been authorised by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for the collection of Direct and Indirect Taxes, on behalf of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) and the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC).
- RBI grants banking licence to Unity Small Finance Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India has granted a banking licence to Unity Small Finance Bank Ltd (USFBL), which was established jointly by the Centrum Financial Services Ltd (CFSL) and Resilient Innovations Private Limited (BharatPe), to carry on a SFB business in India.
- India expected to grow by 8.3 per cent in 2021-22: World Bank
- India’s economy is expected to grow by 8.3 per cent in the fiscal year 2021-22, less than the previous projection early this year before the country was hit by the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, the World Bank has said in its latest report.
- Tamil Nadu signs MoU for multi-modal logistics park near Chennai
- The Tamil Nadu government signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for developing a multi-modal logistics park (MMLP) at an investment of Rs 1,200 crore in Mappedu village in neighbouring Tiruvallur district.
- Government Approves Air India Disinvestment
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved the highest price bid of M/s Talace Pvt Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of M/s Tata Sons Pvt. Ltd for sale of 100% equity shareholding of Government of India in Air India.
- India joins High Ambition Coalition for Nature and People
- India officially joined the High Ambition Coalition for Nature and People, a group of more than 70 countries encouraging the adoption of the global goal to protect at least 30 per cent of the world's land and ocean by 2030.
- 'MyPortApp' Launched To Digitally Monitor Port Operations
- Union Minister for Ports, Shipping and Waterways Sarbananda Sonowal launched a port mobile application dubbed 'MyPortApp' in Kolkata.
- India's first Atal Community Innovation Center has been launched at VGU Jaipur
- Atal Community Innovation Center was inaugurated at Vivekananda Global University, Jaipur, Jagatpura.
- World's First Malaria Vaccine Approved By WHO
- The World Health Organization (WHO) endorsed the RTS,S/AS01 malaria vaccine, the first against the mosquito-borne disease. The WHO recommendation is for RTS,S - or Mosquirix - a vaccine developed by British drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline in 1987.
- Germany unveils world's first automated, driverless train
- German rail operator Deutsche Bahn and industrial group Siemens unveiled the world's first automated, driverless train in the city of Hamburg.
- Four such trains will join the northern city's S-Bahn rapid urban rail network and start carrying passengers from December, using the existing rail infrastructure.
- Maharashtra announces 'Mission Kavach Kundal' scheme
- With a target to administer 15 lakh COVID-19 vaccine doses daily, the Maharashtra government announced 'Mission Kavach Kundal' from October 8-14.
- India’s newest Tiger Reserve in Chhattisgarh
- The National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) greenlit Chhattisgarh’s proposal to declare the combined areas of the Tamor Pingla Wildlife Sanctuary and the Guru Ghasidas National Park as a Tiger Reserve.
- Telangana’s Floral Festival ‘Bathukamma’ Begins
- The nine day floral festival has begun in Telangana.
- The Bathukamma festival is celebrated during Durga Navratri. Bathukamma festival begins on the day of Mahalaya Amavasya and the festival continues till nine days, ending on the day of Durgashtami.
REPORTS AND INDEXES
- Henley Passport Index 2021
- The Henley Passport Index (HPI) is a global ranking of countries according to the number of destinations their holders can visit without a prior visa.
- About the Index: It is released by London-based global citizenship and residence advisory firm Henley & Partners in 2006. The index covers 227 destinations and 199 passports. The rankings are based on the analysis of data provided by the International Air Transport Association (IATA). The number of countries that a specific passport can access becomes its visa-free 'score'.
- 58th Renewable Energy Country Attractiveness Index
- The Renewable Energy Country Attractiveness Index (RECAI) ranks the world’s top 40 markets on the attractiveness of their renewable energy investment and deployment opportunities. The rankings reflect assessments of market attractiveness and global market trends.
- 58th edition of ‘Renewable Energy Country Attractiveness Index’ (RECAI) has been released by consultancy firm Ernst & Young (EY).
- Mukesh Ambani tops Forbes India Rich List 2021
- Forbes Magazine has come up with the Forbes India Rich list 2021.
- The Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) Chairman Mukesh Ambani has topped the list.
AGRICULTURE AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT
- APEDA signs MoU with ICAR-Central Citrus Research Institute
- For boosting exports of citrus and its valued added products, the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with ICAR-Central Citrus Research Institute (ICAR-CCRI), Nagpur.
- Tamil Nadu’s ‘Kanniyakumari Clove’ gets GI Tag
- The unique clove spice grown in the hills of Kanyakumari district in Tamil Nadu has been awarded a geographical indication (GI) as ‘Kanyakumari clove’.
- India, UK begin two-week military exercise in Uttarakhand
- India and the UK kickstarted a two-week military exercise at Chaubatia in Uttarakhand to further strengthen bilateral defence cooperation between the two countries.
- The 6th edition of the ''Ajeya Warrior'' exercise is part of an initiative to develop interoperability and sharing of expertise with friendly foreign nations. The exercise will culminate on October 20.
- India, Sri Lanka begin 12-day military exercise Mitra Shakti 21
- The 8th Edition of India Sri Lanka bilateral joint Exercise Mitra Shakti will be conducted at Combat Training School, Ampara in Sri Lanka from 4 to 15 October 2021.
- PM Participates in G20 Extraordinary Summit on Afghanistan
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi participated virtually in the G20 Extraordinary Summit on Afghanistan.
- The Meeting was convened by Italy, which currently holds the G20 Presidency, and chaired by Italian Prime Minister Mr. Mario Draghi.
- PM Modi to address 28th NHRC foundation day programme
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the 28th National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) foundation day programme through video conferencing.
- Union home minister Amit Shah and NHRC chairperson Justice Arun Kumar Mishra was also present during the event.
AWARDS AND REWARDS
- Nobel Prize in Economics 2021
- The Nobel Prize for Economics 2021 has been awarded to three US-based economists.
- David Card was awarded one half of the prize, while the other half was shared by Joshua Angrist and Guido Imbens for pioneering research on the labour market impacts of minimum wage, immigration and education, and for creating the scientific framework to allow conclusions to be drawn from such studies that can’t use traditional methodology.
- 4th Satyajit Ray Award
- Telugu filmmaker B Gopal alias Bejwada Gopal has been chosen for the fourth Satyajit Ray Award for his general contribution to Indian cinema.
- The award, established by the state-run Satyajit Ray Movie Society Kerala, features a money prize of Rs 10,000, a memento and a plaque.
- 22nd Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu presented the 22nd Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award for Excellence to the eminent pulmonologist and Director of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Dr Randeep Guleria at Upa-Rashtrapati Nivas.
- Wrestler Anshu Malik Becomes First Indian Woman To Win World Championships Silver
- 19-year old Anshu Malik settled for a silver medal after losing her 57kg final to Helen Lousie Marouli in Oslo, Norway.
- Amy Hunter Becomes Youngest Batter To Hit ODI Century
- Ireland's Amy Hunter became the youngest player to score an ODI century.
- Hunter overtook the record previously held by India's Mithali Raj, who scored 114 not out against Ireland at the age of 16 years and 205 days in June 1999.
- Turkish Grand Prix 2021
- The Turkish Grand Prix is a Formula One motor race held at the Istanbul Park Circuit.
- Mercedes' Valtteri Bottas won Turkish Grand Prix 2021.
- Red Bull's Max Verstappen finished second while Red Bull's Sergio Perez finished third.