RBI, Banking and Economy
- Lenders extends timeline for Reliance Capital resolution till November
- Lenders of debt-ridden Reliance Capital Ltd (RCL) decided to extend the resolution process timeline by another two months to November 2 as there has been a tepid response from bidders for its acquisition.
- Centre extends GST cess till March 2026
- The Centre has extended the GST Compensation Cess till March 31, 2026.
- The extension, which was earlier approved by the GST Council, is necessary to repay the principal and service the interest cost of the loans taken in FY21 and FY22 to compensate states for the shortfall in guaranteed GST revenues.
- Centre allocates Rs 404 crore to Tamil Nadu for medical infrastructure advancement
- Dr Mandaviya informed that the Central Government has allocated more than Rs 2600 crore for the health of Tamil Nadu under National Health Mission and Rs 404 crore for medical infrastructure advancement under the Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Health Infrastructure Mission.
- Nasha Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan Run on the occasion of International Day against Drug Abuse
- The Department of Social Justice & Empowerment organized Nasha Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan Run - 19th Run Against Drug Abuse today at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium to wean away youth and others from drugs and to make our country drugs free.
- Hasina opens Padma multipurpose bridge
- Bangladesh has completed the construction of the Padma Multipurpose Bridge.
- The Padma bridge will not just help the internal connectivity of Bangladesh, but will also improve trade and logistics between India and Bangladesh.
- China to give Olympiad a miss
- China will not be taking part in the 44th Chess Olympiad to be held at Mamallapuram from July 28.
- G7 proposes $600-bn global infra plan
- The G7 group announced an attempt to compete with China’s formidable Belt and Road Initiative by raising $600 billion for global infrastructure programmes in poor countries.
- Kerala to have its own regional red list of birds
- The Kerala Bird Monitoring Collective led by Kerala Agricultural University and the Bird Count India will conduct the regional red list assessment and Kerala will soon have its own red list of birds.
- Kerala will be the first State to have a region-specific red list of birds.
- Udaipur’s ‘bird village’ to be declared wetland
- Recognised as the “bird village” following community-driven conservation efforts, Menar in Udaipur district is set to be notified as Rajasthan's new wetland.
- This will pave the way for getting the Ramsar site status for this rural heartland of the Mewar region.
- From July 1, Himachal to buy back single-use plastic
- As the Centre has decided to ban the use of single-use plastic from July 1, the hill State of Himachal Pradesh is all set to kick-start a buy-back scheme in schools and colleges to purchase the single-use plastic items from students in a bid to instil a sense of environment preservation.
- COP15 in Canada
- The United Nations (UN) has announced that a pivotal summit to finalise a new global agreement on protecting the environment will go ahead in December this year, after a two-year delay due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- The 15th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity, will move from Kunming in China to Montreal, Canada.
AWARDS AND REWARDS
- Karnataka announces 3 names for first Kempe Gowda award
- The Karnataka government has selected the former Karnataka Chief Minister S.M. Krishna, Infosys founder N.R. Narayana Murthy, and former Indian badminton player Prakash Padukone for the Kempe Gowda International Award, constituted in honour of Kempe Gowda, founder of Bengaluru.
- The award carries a purse ₹5 lakh and a plaque each.
- Book on 1983 World Cup released
- The 1983 World Cup-winning captain Kapil Dev, the team’s star all-rounders Mohinder Amarnath and Sandeep Patil launched event of the The 1983 World Cup Opus, a coffee table book the 39th anniversary of the 1983 final.