RBI, Banking and Economy
- Intel Unveils New Design & Engineering Centre in India
- Intel, the world’s largest maker of computer processors, is expanding its design and engineering footprint in the country.
- Intel India unveiled a centre in Bengaluru with 453,000 square feet spread over two towers, which can accommodate 2,000 employees.
- RBI extends deadline for card tokenisation till Sept 30
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is extending the deadline for card-on-file (CoF) tokenisation by another three months to September 30 as transaction processing based on such tokens is yet to gain traction across categories of merchants.
- ESIC scheme adds 1.26 million new members in April
- Around 12.67 lakh new members joined the ESIC-run social security scheme in April 2022.
- The latest data is part of a report -- Payroll Reporting in India: An Employment Perspective - April 2022 -- released by the National Statistical Office (NSO).
- It showed that the gross new enrolments with Employees' State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) rose to 1.49 crore in 2021-22 from 1.15 crore in 2020-21.
SEBI & Financial Awareness
- SEBI relaxes regulatory framework for AIFs targeting 'accredited investors'
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), relaxed the regulatory framework for alternative investment funds (AIFs) targeting ‘accredited investors’ — those investors with annual income of over Rs 2 crore or networth of at least Rs 7.5 crore.
- SEBI gives UPI payment option to invest in public issues of REITs, InvITs
- Capital markets regulator SEBI provided an additional payment option of UPI or unified payments interface mechanism to retail investors to apply in the public issue of REITs and InvITs for application value up to Rs 5 lakh.
- 7th Anniversary to commemorate launch of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban
- The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) organised a virtual event to celebrate 7 years of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban (PMAY-U), which was launched by Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 25th June 2015.
- Piyush Goyal inaugurates ‘Mango Festival’ in Belgium
- Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, Piyush Goyal inaugurated a “Mango Festival” organized in Brussels to create awareness among the Europeans and create a market for Indian mangoes in Europe.
- Monkeypox outbreak declared a public health emergency
- The World Health Network (WHN) has declared Monkeypox outbreak as a public health emmergency of global concern.
- The coalition of scientists on June 23, 2022 considered the monkeypox outbreak as a 'pandemic' and urged the World Health Organization (WHO) to make a formal declaration.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- World's largest bacterium discovered
- Scientists have discovered the world’s largest known bacterium in the brackish waters of a red mangrove swamp in Guadeloupe in the Lesser Antilles.
- This latest discovery of bacteria is the first that is visible to naked eye and it is in the form of white filaments, almost the size of human eyelashes.
- Ship-borne weapon system tested
- Indigenously developed Vertical Launch Short Range Surface to Air Missile (VL-SRSAM) was successfully flight-tested by DRDO and the Navy from a warship at Integrated Test Range, Chandipur off the coast of Odisha.
- It is a ship-borne weapon system meant for neutralising various aerial threats at close ranges.
- J&K to host G-20 meeting next year
- The Jammu and Kashmir administration has constituted a committee to coordinate with the delegates of G-20 countries scheduled to participate in a meeting to be held in the Union Territory (UT) next year.
- The Principal Secretary, Housing and Urban Development, will be the chairman of the five-member committee.
AWARDS AND REWARDS
- National MSME Award 2022
- The Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) Department, Government of Odisha has been awarded the first prize in the category ‘National MSME Award 2022 to States/UTs for outstanding contribution in the Promotion and Development of MSME Sector'.