RBI, Banking and Economy
- CAD reduces sequentially to 1.5% of GDP in Q4 as trade deficit moderates
- Current account deficit (CAD) decreased sequentially to $13.4 billion (1.5 per cent of GDP) in the fourth quarter ended March 2022. CAD was down from $22.2 billion (2.6 per cent of GDP) in the third quarter ended December 2021.
- Vodafone group to infuse Rs 436 crore in Vi ahead of India 5G auction
- Vodafone Group Plc will infuse an additional Rs 436 crore into Vodafone Idea (Vi) through equity shares.
- Meta rolls out monetisation tools for creators on Instagram, Facebook
- Meta chief executive officer (CEO) Mark Zuckerberg announced that the company is rolling out more ways for creators to make money on Facebook and Instagram, and is also expanding some of its current monetisation tools to more creators.
- Vanijya Bhawan and launch NIRYAT portal to be launched
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will inaugurate the new premises of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry - ‘Vanijya Bhawan’ - on 23rd June 2022.
- Prime Minister will also launch a new portal - NIRYAT (National Import-Export Record for Yearly Analysis of Trade) - which is developed as a one stop platform for stakeholders to get all necessary information related to India’s foreign trade.
- First IRCTC train under Swadesh Darshan scheme embarks on Ramayana Yatra
- Railway minister Ashwini Vaishnaw along with Minister of Tourism, Culture and Development of North Eastern Region Kishan Reddy flagged off Shri Ramayana Yatra, a Bharat Gaurav Tourist Train, from Delhi Safdarjung Railway Station on June 21.
- Pakistan secures IMF deal to restore $6 billion stalled aid
- Pakistan has secured a deal with the International Monetary Fund to restore the stalled $6 billion assistance package and unlock doors for financing from other international sources.
REPORTS AND INDICES
- Indian Hotels' Taj ranked world's strongest hotel brand by Brand Finance
- Brand Finance has released the ‘Hotels 50 2022’ annual report.
- As per the report, Indian Hotels Company's Taj has been rated the world’s strongest hotel brand while Hilton (brand value up 58 per cent to US$12.0 billion) has extended its reign as the world’s most valuable hotels brand.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- Four new corals recorded from Indian waters
- Scientists have recorded four new species of azooxanthellate corals for the first time from the waters off the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- All the four groups of corals are from the same family, Flabellidae.
- MoD approves ‘BRO cafes’ in border areas
- The Ministry of Defence approved the setting up of wayside amenities with the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), to be branded as ‘BRO Cafes’, at 75 locations in 12 States and Union Territories on different sections of roads.
- 38TH INDIA – INDONESIA COORDINATED PATROL (IND-INDO CORPAT)
- The 38th edition of India–Indonesia Coordinated Patrol (IND-INDO CORPAT) between Indian Navy and Indonesian Navy is being conducted from 13-24 Jun 22.
- The sea phase for the 38th edition of CORPAT was undertaken from 20 – 21 Jun 22, whilst the closing ceremony is scheduled at Sabang, Indonesia on 23 June 22.
- Modi to attend G-7 summit in Germany
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be going to Germany as a special invitee to the G7 meeting on June 26 and 27.
- Among the special invitees to the G-7 summit are the leaders of Argentina, Indonesia, Senegal and South Africa.
- Rumeli Dhar announces her retirement
- The right-handed batter and medium-pacer Former India women’s team captain Rumeli Dhar announced her retirement from all forms of the game.
- She also played 78 WODIs, scoring 961 runs and taking 63 wickets.
- 20th Kumar Surendra Singh shooting championship
- Rohit Kumar Singh emerged the men’s air rifle champion, at the 20th Kumar Surendra Singh shooting championship in Tughlakabad. Hriday Hazarika finished to take the bronze.
- Osaka and James launch media company
- Naomi Osaka is launching a new media company ‘Hana Kuma (flower bear) in partnership with basketball legend LeBron James. It is aimed at telling stories that cross cultural barriers.