RBI, Banking and Economy
- RBI imposes Rs 57.75-lakh penalty on Suryoday Small Finance Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a penalty of Rs 57.75 lakh on Suryoday Small Finance Bank for non-compliance with norms related to fraud classification.
- This action is based on deficiencies in regulatory compliance.
- India's foreign exchange reserves drop $7.5 billion to $572.7 billion
- India’s foreign exchange reserves dropped $7.5 billion to $572.7 billion during the week ended July 15, the latest data released by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) showed.
- The decline in foreign exchange reserves during the week is mainly due to foreign currency assets that were down $6.5 billion.
- Govt notifies five ports for imports of pulses from Myanmar, Mozambique & Malawi
- To meet domestic shortfall, the government has notified imports of 0.6 million tonne (MT) of tur and urad annually under bilateral agreements with Myanmar, Mozambique and Malawi, through five ports.
- According to a notification issued by the Directorate General Foreign Trade, import of pulses will be allowed through five ports – Mumbai, Tuticorin, Chennai, Kolkata and Hazira.
SEBI and FINANCIAL AWARENESS
- SEBI proposes regulatory framework for online bond platforms
- Capital markets regulator SEBI proposed a regulatory framework for the online bond platforms that are selling listed debt securities.
- Under the proposal, bond platforms should register as stock brokers (debt segment) with the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) or be run by SEBI-registered brokers, according to a consultation paper.
- The Indian Antarctic Bill, 2022
- Lok Sabha passed the Indian Antarctic Bill, 2022 moved by Minister of Earth Sciences Dr Jitendra Singh.
- The Bill aims at having India’s own national measures for protecting the Antarctic environment as also the dependent and associated ecosystem.
- COP 26 and NITI Aayog launch initiatives
- During the visit of COP 26 President Rt Hon’ble Alok Sharma to India on 21-22 July 2022, NITI Aayog launched two significant initiatives:
- E-AMRIT (Accelerated e-Mobility Revolution for India's Transportation) mobile application to raise awareness on electric mobility.
- The Report on Advanced Chemistry Cell Battery Reuse and Recycling Market in India.
- Dinesh Gunawardena sworn in as Sri Lanka PM
- Dinesh Gunawardena was sworn in as Sri Lanka Prime Minister.
- Dinesh Gunawardena has held ministerial portfolios including Education, Foreign Affairs and Labour in different Rajapaksa governments, and was Leader of the House from January 2020.
- Gujarat CM Bhupendra Patel Unveils 36th National Games Logo
- Gujarat chief minister Bhupendra Patel launched the logo of the 36th National games along with the signing of memorandum of understanding (MoU) between Indian Olympic Association, Gujarat Government and Gujarat Olympic Association.
- The Games, covering 6 cities- Gandhinagar, Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodara, Rajkot and Bhavnagar, will take place from September 27 to October 10 in Gujarat.
REPORTS AND INDEXES
- Forbes' Real-Time Billionaires List
- Gautam Adani, chairman of Ahmedabad-based Adani group, has surpassed Microsoft Founder Bill Gates to become the fourth-richest person, according to the Forbes list.
- Here is the list of the richest according to the Forbes List:
- Elon Musk (Net worth: USD 235.8 billion)
- Bernard Arnault (Net worth: USD 157.8 billion)
- Jeff Bezos (Net worth: USD 148.4 billion)
- Gautam Adani and family (Net worth: USD 115.6 billion)
- Bill Gates (Net worth: USD 104.6 billion)
- Advanced Chemistry Cell Battery Reuse and Recycling Market in India: NITI report
- NITI Aayog released a report titled 'Advanced Chemistry Cell Battery Reuse and Recycling Market in India'.
- According to the report, India will have a battery storage potential of 600 gigawatt hour (GWh) by 2030, and demand for electric vehicles, stationary storage and consumer electronics will mainly drive adoption of battery storage.
- MoD bans imports from 18 top defence platforms
- The Ministry of Defence (MoD) revealed in Parliament the names of eighteen major defence platforms that can no longer be imported.
- Instead, they will henceforth be indigenously designed and developed (D&D) by domestic industry
- BSF, BGB focus on curbing trans-border crimes
- The border guarding forces of India and Bangladesh have agreed to focus on curbing trans-border crimes and taking all necessary measures to ensure peace and tranquility along the border.
- They agreed to undertake joint efforts to curb trans-border crime by adopting extra precautionary measures such as increasing coordinated patrols, enhancing vigilance and sincere commitments, it said.
AWARDS AND REWARDS
- 68th National Film Awards announced
- The winners of 68th National Film Awards were announced on July 22, 2022 in New Delhi.
- The National Film Awards were established in 1954.
- This year's awards ceremony honoured films from 2020 as well due to COVID-19 related delays.
- World Athletics Championship 2022
- Three Indians have qualified for the World Athletics Championship finals including javelin throwers Neeraj Chopra and Rohit Yadav and Eldhose Paul.
- Eldhose Paul became the first Indian to qualify for the triple jump final at the World Athletics Championships at Eugene, Oregon on July 21, 2022 with a jump of 16.68m.
- Indian Fencer Bhavani Devi to be part of 1st Khelo India Fencing Women's League
- Indian athlete Bhavani Devi will be a part of the 1st Khelo India Fencing Women's league, which is scheduled to start on July 25 at the Talkatora Indoor Stadium in New Delhi.
- It will get over on July 29th ,2022.