RBI, Banking and Economy
- Adani, TotalEnergies join hands to invest $50 billion in green hydrogen
- Adani New Industries Ltd (ANIL) and the French giant TotalEnergies will invest $50 billion over 10 years in green hydrogen and, in the initial phase, building a production capacity of 1 million tonnes a year for green hydrogen before 2030.
- CCI clears Air India's acquisition of AirAsia India stake
- The Competition Commission of India approved Air India’s proposed acquisition of Tata group’s entire 83.67 per cent stake in AirAsia India.
- BCCI walks away with Rs 48,390 crores in three-day IPL auction for media rights
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has raked in Rs 48,390 crore in the auction of the media rights for the Indian Premier League (IPL).
- Disney-Star, Viacom18 and Times Internet were the winners of the e-auction held recently.
- Cabinet approves Agreement between India and United Nations on a ‘Way Finding Application’
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, has approved the proposal for signing of an agreement between the Government of India and the United Nations on a ‘Way Finding Application’ to be used in the Palais des Nations, United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG).
- Cabinet approves Memorandum of Association for establishment of BIMSTEC Technology Transfer Centre
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved a Memorandum of Association (MoA) by India for establishment of Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) Technology Transfer Facility (TTF) signed by the BIMSTEC member countries at the 5th BIMSTEC Summit held at Colombo, Sri Lanka on 30th March, 2022.
- Maiden Service of Bharat Gaurav Train commences
- The first service of the theme-based Bharat Gaurav Train from Coimbatore North to Sainagar Shirdi started its journey on 14-06-2022.
- Southern Railway becomes the first zone in Indian Railways to get the first Registered service provider under the ‘Bharat Gaurav” Scheme and commence the operations of the maiden service from Coimbatore North to Sainagar Shirdi.
- Cabinet gives nod for Dholera airport
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved the development of a new greenfield airport at Dholera, Gujarat, which will be developed at an estimated cost of ₹1,305 crore in the first of its three phases.
- The project is being implemented by Dholera International Airport Company Limited.
- PM inaugurates Jagadguru Shrisant Tukaram Maharaj Shila Mandir in Dehu, Pune
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated Jagatguru Shrisant Tukaram Maharaj Temple in Dehu, Pune.
- Sant Tukaram Maharaj Palki Marg will be completed in three phases. More than 350 km long highways will be constructed in these phases at the cost of more than 11000 crore rupees.
REPORTS AND INDEXES
- Indian Hotels' Taj ranked world's strongest hotel brand by Brand Finance
- Brand Finance has released the ‘Hotels 50 2022’ annual report.
- As per the report, Indian Hotels Company's Taj has been rated the world’s strongest hotel brand while Hilton (brand value up 58 per cent to US$12.0 billion) has extended its reign as the world’s most valuable hotels brand.
- Labour survey reveals sharp drop in jobless rate in 2020-21
- According to the fourth annual report on the Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS) conducted during July 2020 and June 2021 by the NSO, the unemployment rate fell to 7.5% in the current weekly status (CWS, unemployment over the past week) in the period from 8.8% in the previous two years and 8.9% in 2017-18.
- Bengaluru ranks 5th globally for tech VC investments in 2022: Report
- The Global Startup Ecosystem Report was launched by innovation policy advisory and research firm Startup Genome at the London Tech Week 2022 (June 13-17).
- As per the report, Bengaluru has claimed the number one spot in Asia and the fifth rank globally for tech venture capital investment this year.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- Internet Explorer retires on June 15
- Microsoft will stop supporting its Internet Explorer browser from June 15, which has been around for 27 years.
- Microsoft is completely phasing out Internet Explorer after stopping new browser feature development in 2016.
- Govt. unveils Agnipath recruitment scheme
- The Union Cabinet approved an attractive recruitment scheme for Indian youth to serve in the Armed Forces.
- The scheme is called AGNIPATH and the youth selected under this scheme will be known as Agniveers.
- This is a major defence policy reform introduced by the Government to usher in a new era in the Human Resource policy of the three Services.
- APEDA organizes 8-day-long mango festival in Bahrain
- Export Development Authority (APEDA) launched an eight-day-long Mango Festival in the Kingdom of Bahrain on June 13 in association with the Indian Embassy and Al Jazira Group.
- At the show, 34 varieties of mangoes from eastern states of West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh and Odisha, are being displayed at eight different locations of Bahrain's Al Jazira group supermarket.
- Ex-Olympic champion Puig retires
- Former Olympic tennis champion Monica Puig took retirement from the sports.
- Puig was the first Puerto Rican to win an Olympic gold in any sport in the final at the 2016 Rio Games.
- The Gloucester shipwreck
- The discovery of a royal shipwreck(Gloucester) was revealed recently on June 10, and has since been hailed as one of the most significant discoveries of maritime history.
- 300 years ago a royal ship carrying the future king of England, Ireland and Scotland sank killing hundreds onboard.