Question

Mercury has become a serious toxic waste. It is found in which of the following instruments?

A Barometer Correct Answer Incorrect Answer
B Thermometer Correct Answer Incorrect Answer
C Fluorescent Lamp Correct Answer Incorrect Answer
D All of these Correct Answer Incorrect Answer

Solution

Mercury is a heavy silvery-white metal that is liquid at room temperatures. It is commonly used in thermometers, nano-meters and barometers, thus it is present in nearly every chemistry and physics lab. Confined in such instruments mercury itself is not likely to cause health problems, but if there is a means for mercury vapor to enter the environment, these highly toxic vapors present a health hazard.
A fluorescent lamp tube is filled with a gas containing low pressure mercury vapor and argon, xenon, neon, or krypton. Fish can absorb methyl mercury from their food and directly from water as it passes over their gills.

Practice Next
×
×