NIC Exam Pattern 2023
Written exams and interviews will be conducted to select candidates for the Scientist "B" and Scientific Officer / Engineer-SB Positions under the NIC selection procedure 2024. Candidates for the Scientific/Technical Assistant -A post need only clear the written test. Overall, the following stages will be held during the recruitment.
- Written Examination
- Personal Interview (Only for Scientist-B & Scientific Officer/Engineer Posts)
- Document Verification
- Medical Examination
Now, let us check the NIC recruitment process 2024 for each of the posts in more detail.
Scientist-B & Scientific Officer/Engineer-SB
Candidates who qualify for the written examination on the basis of merit and reservation policies only will be contacted for interviews. In the final selection process, candidates will be evaluated both on their performance in the written exam and in the interview. There will be a ratio of 85:15 for marks in the written examination and interview. In order to be selected, you must appear in an interview.
Total no. of Questions
120(65% questions from Technical Part & 35% from Generic Part)
Part 1: Generic Part (Logical Reasoning, Analytical Reasoning Capabilities, Quantitative and Qualitative abilities, and General Aptitude
Part 2: Technical Field (Computer Science)
In the final selection of eligible candidates for appointment, the merit position will be determined by the performance of the candidates in the written test.
NIC Online Written Exam Highlights
- Selection will be done through a written examination and interview for Scientist B and Scientific Officer / Engineer-SB Posts
- There will only be a written examination for Scientific/Technical Assistant -A
- The written test will be administered in ONLINE mode, and there will be 120 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) that must be answered within a 3-hour time limit.
- The question asked will include 65% of questions from the technical area and 35% of questions from the generic area.
- When there is a minor technical glitch, such as a system breakdown, the timer will be reset and will start from the time it stopped. Those affected will not have to take a retest. They will only be granted an extension of time. The minimum percentage to qualify for the written examination will be 50% for General/EWS, 40% for OBC, and 30% for the SC/ST/PWD categories. The cut–off marks specified would be applicable in the overall marks (i.e., Technical/Generic Combined) as well as for each section (Technical/Generic) separately.
Verification of Documents
The required documents for Scientist-B and Scientific Officer/Engineer-SB positions will be verified at the time of the interview. Only after the candidate has produced original documents for verification will an interview take place. An applicant does not automatically qualify to be called for a personal interview by merely meeting the criteria mentioned in the job advertisement. Before joining, documents for the position of Scientific/Technical Assistant-A will be verified. For document verification, only candidates who have been shortlisted will be contacted.
NIC Online Written Exam Marking Scheme
Each question will be awarded one mark, and each incorrect response will result in a penalty of 0.25 marks
NIC Online Written Exam Language
Only English will be used as the medium for the written exam.
The shortlisted candidates will be notified about the date and venue by NIELIT via SMS/e-mail to their registered email address/mobile phone. Interviews will be conducted in Delhi or at any other location/mode approved by the competent authority. It is not possible to request to postpone or change the location of the Interview.
NIC Online Written Exam Qualifying Criteria
NIC Scientific Officer & STA - Free Mock Tests
- 180 Minutes
- 120 Questions
- 120 Marks