EMRS Full Form
EMRS stands for Eklavya Model Residential School. An initiative started by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs, it is an idea inspired by the thought of providing basic amenities and quality education to the tribal children who live in remote areas and are completely exempted from basic education and life skills.
EMRS Recruitment 2021
The Eklavya Model Residential School (EMRS) released 3479 vacancies for the posts of TGT, PGT, Principal, and Vice-Principal posts across 17 states in India. The exam was initially announced to be tentatively held in the first week of June. However, the exam has been postponed until further notice. The EMRS Recruitment 2021 exam dates are expected to be announced soon.
About EMRS (Eklavya Model Residential Schools)
As the name suggests, the EMRS scheme is a significant initiative by the Government of India to develop ‘model’ residential schools for the Scheduled Tribes (STs) across the country. It falls under the purview of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and was introduced by it around 1997-98.
The criteria based on which an area is considered eligible for the establishment of such a model school is that it should fall under the list of such States/UTs that have been specified as eligible for the grants under Article 275(1) of the Constitution of India. Going by the budget of 2018-19, each such block that contains at least 20,000 tribals or more than 50% of the Scheduled Tribe population will have an Eklavya Model Residential School by the year 2022.
The government provides an amount of Rs 30 lakh once altogether at the time of the establishment of an EMRS, and after that, an additional amount to a maximum of Rs 30 lakh is provided as per the requirement of the schools during the year. If there is a need beyond that, the expenditure is handled by the respective state governments.
Presently, 588 schools have been sanctioned by the government, and the number of functional schools is 285. The total number of students that are enrolled in these schools is 73,391. Out of the total number of enrolled students, the number of male and female students is almost equal, which indicates that the quality education that is expected to be imparted through this scheme is accessible to the female students.
The EMRSs have been designed on the lines of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas (JNVs), Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalayas (KGBVs), and the Kendriya Vidyalayas (KVs).
EMRS: Structure & Admissions
- The students that are to be enrolled in the EMRSs, will have to go through a proper selection procedure which will be decided by the National Education Society for Tribal Students (NESTS).
- Although a preference will be given to the students who belong to certain categories like first-generation students or Primitive Tribal Groups.
- All the amenities & enough land will be provided to the schools by the state government, for free.
- The education in these schools will also be free of cost.
- The total number of students enrolled in a school shall not exceed the limit of 480.
- A particular class can have two sections with 30 students each.
- 10 % of the seats can be filled by the non-ST students also, keeping the maximum limit in consideration.
- 20% of the seats should be reserved under the sports quota for those students who perform well in Sports.
Although the Eklavya Model Residential Schools have been set up for those students who stay in remote areas being exempted from all the necessary facilities, and therefore reside in these schools, there is an exception in this scenario.
In case of the ST population exceeding 50% in any identified sub-district, there is a proposition to set up an Eklavya Model Day Boarding School (EMDBS) on a trial basis so that the access to quality education can be extended to those students who do not wish to take the residential facility.
- The National Education Society for Tribal Students (NESTS) takes care of the appointments of the teaching/management staff in the EMRSs. Currently, it is conducting a recruitment drive along with the State Government at the Central level to fill up the vacant positions according to the present requirements of the tribal schools.
- The teaching staff including the Principal & Vice-Principal will be recruited as per the State requirements adhering to the rules and regulations of NESTS which works under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- The candidates possessing the domicile of that particular state can only apply for the respective posts.
- The recruitment exam will be conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA).
EMRS Recruitment Benefits
The EMRS scheme is a flagship program initiated by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs in 1988. The objective behind this scheme was to ensure that good quality education can be provided to tribal students in the tribal areas of India. The scheme was re-planned in 2018-19 to set up 452 more new schools, more schools to the pre-existing 288 schools. Of these 452 new schools, the project for 100 schools has been finalized.
How is EMRS beneficial for tribal communities?
- Holistic development of students belonging to Scheduled Tribes
- Special and focused upliftment of Scheduled Tribes and Particularly Vulnerable Tribes of India.
- Addressing the special needs of the tribals communities.
- Ensuring that these students receive the best opportunities and quality exposure in both academics and co-curricular activities.
- EMRSs are working toward bringing tribal communities at par with the rest of the Indian society.
- Educating the tribal communities will result in their integration into the mainstream and prevent exploitation in the future.
Objectives of EMRS Scheme
The objectives of the EMRS Scheme are:
- To ensure the all-round development of tribal students in both academic and extracurricular spheres.
- Make EMRS school, the model for schools in tribal-dominated areas.
- The positioning of quality human resources to run the EMRS institutions.
- Improvement of overall educational standards in the EMRSs.
You can find all the information for the EMRS Exam 2021 about the syllabus, important dates, and more at ixamBee. If you are preparing for the EMRS examination you can find free mock tests on ixamBee.
For this examination, there is also a section tested on General Awareness for which you can find requisite resources on our BeePedia page. These BeePedia updates are free and available in Hindi as well.
If you are preparing for another competitive exam(s) you can find online courses and free mock test series that we have specially curated for your preparation.
At ixamBee you can find free Mock Test Series, GK updates in the form of BeePedia, as well as latest updates for Bank PO, Bank Clerk, SSC, RBI NABARD, and Other Government Jobs.