RBI, Banking and Economy
- FSIB recommends former Union Bank of India MD for post of NaBFID MD
- The Financial Services Institutions Bureau (FSIB) has recommended former Union Bank of India managing director Rajkiran Rai as the head of government-owned development finance institution (DFI).
- As part of its first appointment after getting restructured, the FSIB interviewed five candidates for the position of managing director of National Bank for Financing Infrastructure and Development (NaBFID).
- Nomura cuts 2023 India GDP forecast to 4.7% amid recession fears
- Nomura has cut its 2023 forecast for economic growth in India, as measured by the gross domestic product (GDP), to 4.7 per cent from its earlier projection of 5.4 per cent amid recession fears and rising interest rates.
- Morgan Stanley-backed Continuum Green Energy raises $350 mn via bonds
- Continuum Green Energy, a renewable energy platform, has raised USD 350 million (about Rs 2,786 crore) in debt through a bond issue to expand its solar hybrid and wind projects.
- Prasar Bharati inks MoU with Madagascar for broadcasting collaboration
- India's public broadcaster Prasar Bharati has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Madagascar's official ORTM (Office de la Radio et de la Television) for cooperation and collaboration in broadcasting.
- Ranil becomes Acting President of Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan prime minister Ranil Wickremesinghe took over as the acting president, hours after Gotabaya Rajapaksa fled to Maldives amid protests against him in the country.
- Fukushima ex-bosses told to pay $97 bn
- A Tokyo court ordered former executives from the operator of the devastated Fukushima nuclear plant to pay 13.32 trillion yen ($97 billion) for failing to prevent the disaster triggered by a tsunami in 2011.
- EU gives Croatia final approval to adopt euro currency in 2023
- European Union finance ministers have given Croatia the final approval to adopt the euro single currency on January 1, 2023, replacing the Croatian kuna.
- Climate Change Missions in all districts of Tamil Nadu
- The Tamil Nadu government has established District Climate Change Missions in all 38 districts.
- The missions will be headed by the Collectors as Mission Directors.
- The District Forest Officers will function as Climate Officers.
- Cabinet approves Taranga Hill-Ambaji-Abu Road new rail line
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the construction of Taranga Hill-Ambaji- Abu Road new rail line to be constructed by Ministry of Railways at an estimated cost of Rs.2798.16 crore in Gujarat and Rajasthan.
- Uttarakhand becomes first state to implement NEP at pre-primary level
- Uttarakhand became the first state in the country to initiate process of implementing the Centre’s New Education Policy inaugurating ‘Bal Vatikas’ at anganwadi kendras across the state to strengthen the pre-primary education system.
REPORTS AND INDEXES
- Gender Gap Index 2022
- Recently the Global Gender Gap Index, 2022 was released by the World Economic Forum.
- India ranks 135 among a total of 146 countries In the Global Gender Gap Index, 2022.
- Weeklong Kharchi festival begins
- The traditional Kharchi fair and festival was organized after a gap of two years due to Covid 19- induced restrictions, from July 7 to July 13 in Tripura.
AWARDS AND REWARDS
- 'Order of the Rising Sun' award
- The government of Japan has conferred the 'Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Star' award on Sanmar Group Vice Chairman Narayanan Kumar in recognition of his contribution towards strengthening economic relations between Japan and India.
- Mehuli-Shahu duo wins mixed rifle gold
- Mehuli Ghosh and Shahu Tushar Mane beat Eszter Meszaros and Istvan Peni of Hungary for the mixed air rifle gold in the shooting World Cup in Changwon, Korea.
- ICC ODI Team Rankings 2022
- India has jumped to the third position in the ICC ODI Team Rankings 2022, overtaking Pakistan after its 10-wicket win over England in the 1st ODI at Kennington on July 12, 2022.
- India was earlier pushed to fourth place while Pakistan was ranked third with 106 rating in the ICC ODI Team Rankings 2022.
- Mohammed Shami becomes fastest Indian to take 150 ODI wickets
- Indian bowler Mohammed Shami created a new record by becoming the fastest Indian bowler to take 150 ODI wickets, surpassing Indian pacers Zaheer Khan and Ajit Agarkar.