RBI, Banking and Economy
- Govt approves financial assistance for MSME ideas, reimbursing trademarks, patents, more under Champions scheme in FY23
- Financial assistance worth an estimated Rs 34 crore has been approved for various ideas and patents by MSMEs in the current financial year.
- Overall, 257 ideas under MSME Idea Hackathon 2022, reimbursement of 1196 Trademarks, 186 Patents, 53 Designs and 11 Geographical indications (GIs) have been approved for financial the grant in FY23.
- Government targets 100% procurement by ministries, CPSEs through GeM portal by end of FY23
- The government has now set a target of procuring all of its goods and services through the public procurement portal Government e-Marketplace (GeM).
- It aims to make 100 per cent procurement through GeM by the end of the current financial year and 75 per cent by August 15.
- UCB digital push: Umbrella body NCFDC to be operational by early 2023
- The proposed Umbrella organisation for Urban Cooperative Banks, National Cooperative Financial and Development Company (NCFDC), will be ready for operations in early calendar 2023.
- The National Federation of Urban Co-operative Banks and Credit Societies (NAFCUB) has been tasked to set up an umbrella body.
- Aadhaar FaceRD App Launched By UIDAI
- The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has recently launched Aadhaar FaceRD App.
- The application will enable the Aadhaar Authentication User Agencies (AUA) to capture a person’s face for the authentication process.
- India’s first passenger drone
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled Varuna, India’s first passenger drone.
- Varuna, India's first drone can carry human payload and it has a range of 25 km.
- The drone can carry 130 kg payload and has 25-33 minutes of flight time.
- Kuwaiti emir appoints Ahmad Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah as new Prime Minister
- The Kuwaiti emir issued a decree appointing Ahmad Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah as the prime minister and tasking him with forming the new cabinet.
- Burhanpur becomes first certified ‘Har Ghar Jal’ district in India
- Burhanpur also known as the ‘Darwaza of Dakhin’ in Madhya Pradesh becomes the first ‘Har Ghar Jal’ certified district in the country.
- HM Amit Shah Inaugurates Development Projects Worth Rs 211 Cr in Gujarat
- Union Home and Cooperation Minister Amit Shah inaugurated and laid foundation stones for multiple development projects worth Rs 211 crore in Gujarat.
- These include inauguration and foundation stone laying for 10 projects aimed at improving water supply, sports facilities, housing, road network, and green cover in the region, boosting connectivity and enhancing ease of living.
REPORTS AND INDEXES
- Youth in India 2022 report
- The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation released the ‘Youth in India 2022’ report recently.
- India’s favourable demographic dividend is at an inflection point of sorts, with the population share of the youth starting to taper off even as the share of the elderly is expected to steadily surge during 2021-2036.
- Statsguru: 160,000 Indians gave up citizenship in 2021
- Over 160,000 Indians had given up their citizenship in 2021 alone.
- The number surges to nearly 400,000 if one includes the previous two years.
- The total number of foreigners taking Indian citizenship numbered fewer than 4,000 in the same period.
- Flexible workspace leasing by corporates up 59% in Apr-Jun
- According to real estate consultant Cushman & Wakefield, leasing of flexible workspace by corporates rose 59 per cent in April-June at 28,167 desks across top eight cities as they are embracing managed office space amid uncertainties.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- China successfully launches first lab module for its space station
- China successfully launched the first lab module of its under-construction space station.
- The Long March-5B Y3 carrier rocket, carrying Wentian, blasted off from the Wenchang Spacecraft Launch Site on the coast of the southern island province of Hainan.
- Microsoft Teams to get 'Viva Engage' app
- Tech giant Microsoft announced that it is introducing Viva Engage, a new app in Teams that helps build community and connection, along with providing tools for personal expression.
- Viva Engage brings people together across the organisation to connect with leaders and coworkers, find answers to questions, share their unique story, and find belonging at work.
- India To Set Up Joint Theatre Commands Of Tri-Services
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh recently announced the setting up of joint theatre commands of the tri-services to enhance coordination among the armed forces.
- India has started defence exports worth ₹ 13,000 crore and it has fixed a target to increase it to ₹ 35,000 to ₹ 40,000 crore by 2025-26.
AWARDS AND REWARDS
- Kamal Haasan receives UAE's 10-year Golden Visa
- Actor Kamal Haasan received the prestigious Golden Visa from the UAE government on July 21.
- Earlier, Mohanlal and Mammootty received UAE’s Golden Visa.
- Karuna Jain announces retirement
- Former India women’s team wicketkeeper Karuna Jain announced her retirement from all forms of the Cricket.
- Karuna represented India, Karnataka, Pondicherry and South Zone during her career.
- She played five Tests (195 runs, 17 dismissals), 44 ODIs (987, 58), and nine T20Is (9, 12).
- World Athletics Championships 2022 India
- Olmpic gold medalist Neeraj Chopra secured the silver medal with a throw of 88.13 meters in the men's Javelin finals at the World Athletics Championships on July 24, 2022.
- Anderson Peters of Grenada won the gold medal in the event with a throw of 90.54m.
- The other Indian in the final event, World Championships debutant Rohit Yadav finished at the 10th position.