RBI, Banking and Economy
- IRDAI constitutes two task forces on issues of reinsurance support
- The IRDAI has formed two task forces to study issues the non-life insurance and life insurance industries face in reinsurance support. The two have to give reports in three weeks.
- The task force for the non-life insurance industry has nine members and it will be headed by Bhargav Dasgupta, MD&CEO, ICICI Lombard General Insurance.
- For the life insurance industry, a seven-member task force has been constituted under the chairmanship of Naveen Tahilyani, MD&CEO, TATA AIA Life Insurance.
- L&T Construction bags orders to build data centres in Mumbai, Navi Mumbai
- Larsen & Toubro (L&T) has bagged significant contracts to build data centres of capacities totalling 10.8 MW at Mumbai and Navi Mumbai.
- RBI grants Payment Aggregator License to Razorpay
- Razorpay, India's Preferred Payments and Banking Platform for Businesses announced that it is one of the first full-stack financial solutions companies that has been given an in-principle approval by the RBI for a Payment Aggregator (PA) License.
- National Emblem unveiled atop new Parliament
- The Prime Minister unveiled a 6.5-metre-tall National Emblem on the roof of the under-construction Parliament building.
- The emblem, which is made of bronze, weighs 9,500 kg.
- A steel structure of 6,500 kg was made to support the weight of the emblem.
- India’s Public Service Broadcaster Launches New Logo
- Prasar Bharati India's public broadcaster, unveiled its new logo on 11th July 2022.
- In the new logo symbol for Prasar Bharati the elements in the central circle and map of India signify the service of trust, security, and perfection for the common man.
- India's longest-surviving tiger Raja passes away
- India's longest surviving tiger, Raja passed away on July 11, 2022.
- The tiger died at the age of 25 years and 10 months making him one of the longest surviving tigers in the country.
- Raja was almost 11 years old when he was bought to the South Khairbari rescue centre.
- Smriti Irani inaugurates Sealdah metro station
- Union Minister Smriti Irani inaugurated the Sealdah metro station of the East-West corridor in West Bengal.
- The 2.33-km extension of the metro line from Phoolbagan up to Sealdah would help around 35,000 passengers in their daily commute.
- ‘Samajik Adhikarita Shivir’ for Distribution of Aids and Assistive Devices
- A ‘Samajik Adhikarita Shivir’ for distribution of aids and assistive devices to Divyangjan and Senior citizens will be organized by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) in association with ALIMCO and District Administration Kannauj on 12 July 2022 at Kannauj District in Uttar Pradesh.
- PM Modi to inaugurate Deoghar airport, AIIMS in Jharkhand
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Deoghar in Jharkhand to launch or inaugurate development projects worth Rs 16,835 crore, including the Rs 400–crore Deoghar airport.
- Modi will also dedicate to the nation the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Deoghar, which has come up at a cost of Rs 1100 crore.
REPORT AND INDEXES
- World Population Prospects 2022
- United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division released a report World Population Prospects 2022 on World Population Day on 11th July 2022.
- India is set to surpass China as the world’s most populous country in 2023, with each counting more than 1.4 billion residents this year.
- Centre should privatise all PSBs, except State Bank of India: NCAER
- National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) released a report authored by NCAER’s Poonam Gupta and economist Arvind Panagariya.
- According to it, the Centre should privatise all public sector banks (PSBs), except the State Bank of India (SBI). This is because private banks have emerged as a credible alternative to PSBs with substantial market share.
- AI-based Mandarin translation devices for Army
- Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh launched 75 newly-developed Artificial Intelligence (AI) products/technologies during the first-ever ‘AI in Defence’ (AIDef) symposium and exhibition, organised by Ministry of Defence in New Delhi on July 11, 2022.
- Arjun Babuta wins air rifle gold
- Arjun Babuta clinch the gold beating Lucas Kozeniesky of the US in men’s air rifle at the shooting World Cup in Changwon, Korea.
- Paarth Makhija also made the final, but finished fourth, behind qualification topper Sergey Richter (631.6) of Israel.
- Bairstow and Kapp win ICC award
- England’s Jonny Bairstow and South Africa’s Marizanne Kapp won the ICC men’s and women’s Player of the Month award for June.
- Wimbledon 2022
- Wimbledon 2022 Men's Final:
- Novak Djokovic won his 7th Wimbledon title and 21st Grand Slam on July 10, 2022 with a four-set win over Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios.