RBI, Banking and Economy
- Centre's fiscal deficit hits 12.3% of full-year target in April-May period
- The Centre’s fiscal deficit for the first two months (April-May) of FY23 came in at Rs 2.04 trillion, or 12.3 per cent of the Budget Estimate of Rs 16.6 trillion, compared with 8.2 per cent for the same period last year.
- Future Enterprises defaults on Rs 6.15 cr interest payment for NCDs
- Debt-ridden Future Enterprises Ltd (FEL) has announced another default, this time on payment of interest of Rs 6.15 crore for its non-convertible debentures.
- The due date for payment was June 29, 2022.
- McDonald's India launches first all-women drive-thru restaurant
- McDonald's India announced the launch of its first all-women drive-thru restaurant in Ekta Nagar, Gujarat.
SEBI & Financial Awareness
- SEBI levies Rs 11-crore fine on eight entities in algo software case
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) imposed a penalty of Rs 11 crore on eight entities for violation of corporate governance and wrongful sharing of data by the National Stock Exchange (NSE) for development of software on algorithm trading.
- Kotak Trustee, 6 others fined over Essel exposure
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) imposed penalties on Kotak Mahindra Trustee Company; Nilesh Shah, managing director, Kotak Mutual Fund; Laxshmi Iyer, chief investment officer (debt); and four others over the fund house’s exposure to securities issued by the Essel group.
- The total penalty imposed on the Kotak Trustee and six others (noticees) works out to Rs 1.6 crore.
- Parsvnath barred from investing in securities market for six months
- SEBI has barred Parsvnath Developers from the securities market for six months and imposed a penalty of Rs 15 lakh on the company for flouting listing rules.
- The company has been directed to pay the fine within 45 days.
- Punjab assembly passes resolution against the Agnipath scheme
- The Punjab Assembly passed a resolution against the Centre’s Agnipath defence recruitment scheme.
- The resolution was moved in the House by Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann.
- Eknath Shinde takes oath as CM of Maharashtra, Fadnavis as deputy CM
- Shiv Sena leader Eknath Shinde was sworn in as the 20th chief minister of Maharashtra, while BJP’s Devendra Fadnavis took oath as the deputy chief minister.
- Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari administered the oath of office to CM and deputy CM at the Raj Bhavan in South Mumbai.
REPORTS AND INDEXES
- Business Reforms Action Plan (BRAP) 2020
- Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman announced the assessment of States/UTs under Business Reforms Action Plan (BRAP) 2020, the 5th edition of the BRAP exercise in New Delhi.
- Top Achievers: Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Punjab, Tamil Nadu and Telangana are the Top Achievers.
- Habitat's World Cities Report 2022: UN
- United Nations released a report titled - Habitat's World Cities Report 2022.
- According to it, India's urban population is estimated to stand at 675 million in 2035, the second highest behind China's one billion.
- Indian direct selling industry ranks 12th globally
- According to a report released by Washington-based World Federation of Direct Selling Associations (WFDSA), the Indian direct selling industry has reported retail sales of USD 3.25 billion in 2021 (around Rs 27,650 crore) and maintained its 12th place in the global rankings.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- ISRO places 3 Singapore satellites, 6 experiments in orbit
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully launched three Singaporean satellites in a commercial mission of the New Space India Limited.
- This was the second launch of the year by the space agency, the first one having placed an Indian Earth Observation Satellite in orbit in February.
- Neeraj Chopra sets new National Record in Stockholm Diamond League
- Olympic Champion Neeraj Chopra finished second at the prestigious Diamond League meeting in Stockholm.
- Neeraj Chopra shattered the national record once again, recording a throw of 89.94m. He fell short of the coveted 90-metre mark by just 6 centimetres.
- AFI ANNOUNCED 22-MEMBER SQUAD FOR THE WORLD ATHLETICS CHAMPIONSHIPS OREGON22
- Athletics Federation of India named a 22-member, including five women, in the team.
- Olympic Games Javelin Throw gold medallist Neeraj Chopra feature in the Indian squad to compete in the World Athletics Championships Oregon22 to be held in Eugene, Oregon from July 15 to 24.